The last full day has arrived!


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine
June 1st 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.5144, 34.1757

Status: Up and about but we feel different. This is the last day and to be frank we have done more than enough arriving at stations at 0600hrs, checking tickets, humping bags and working out how to fold down cots and origami sheets in hotel bedrooms.........for the time being!!!!.

Our last morning of official sightseeing culminated in walking up to The Swallows Nest, a small "Folly" perched high on an outcrop of rock with a fantastic viewing of Yalta Harbour.

Then on to The Vorontsov Palace a magnificent structure opened in 1846 and designed by the British Architect Edward Blore for Prince Vorontsov of the celebrated Russian family. A cross between a Scottish hunting lodge and Indian Palace, we were lost for words as we meandered through stately rooms (where Churchill stayed during the Yalta Conference in 1945). The grounds were outstanding and it is surrounded by a 100 acre park reminiscent of an Italian garden.

Well thats it folks......tomorrow we fly home to Blighty. This will take just 3 hrs 30 minutes and will be via Kiev arriving into Heathrow at 1730. Our outward journey took us a combined 57.5 hours by train!!

Train travel is hard work but is massively rewarding (sometime in retrospect). You get to see the real country rather than a sterile airport environment. I think we have travelled some 3,500km (including side trips).

You have to work hard and there are ups and there are downs. Viktor was a nightmare and to be frank those situations are rare. Mostly you can sit back and watch the world.

And what about blogging. At times, I have had to make myself write it up each day....hopefully, we have not bored you silly with pompous accounts of art treasures but given you a glimpse into our rather quirky world!!!!!

Would we do it again...YES...watch out for the next Episode.......



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb