Lviv a great City


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine
May 25th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.8409, 24.0336

Update: The trials of yesterday seem a long way off and we are re-charged for a full days walk around historic L'viv. Located on the western side of Ukraine, the City is now looking towards the EEC and has shed it's Russian feel of 10 years ago when we were last here. Still slightly tumble down, they have made huge efforts to restore many Baroque and Neo-Classical buildings.

The Vodka swigging vagrants that were so much in evidence on our last trip here in 2003 have been replaced by smart dog walking couples enjoying the sunshine. Weddings abound with each of the magnificent churches having a queue of couples outside. The Brides tottering around on impossible high heels and the men in shiny black suits sporting horrendous shirt tie combinations.

This is a really great place to visit for a long weekend. Not too large to be impossible and sufficient culture to keep everone happy for a couple of days. The only downside is getting here. I am not cetain there are direct flights from the UK and guess you would need to change at Kiev or Warsaw.

The Ukranians love parades and gatherings. About 100 hard faced but smiling "Hells Angels"
swarmed into the city this afternoon sporting Nazi Helmets and waving to the crowds. I suspect that this is a pretty right wing (non mult-cultural) society as we have seen nobody of a more "Southern" climate for the last few days.

Preparation for final leg to The Crimea: Tomorrow morning at 0938, we board the train to Simperol which will arrive 24 hours later. Provisions have been purchased and a small pack of "pensioner" strength Edam cheese slices have selected to avoid any repeat performance of last weeks "pong fest".

"Richard" The salami (see photo) is looking a little nervous as he knows his time willl shortly be up. In combination with a couple of packs of caviar flavoured crisps, bread and Vodka mean that we will not fade away en route.

News from other pieces of kit: Kettle in full use. Arthur doing well and Cathy's sandal is still alive. Surgery being performed (as I type) on my pack and will have to open 2nd pack of M&S briefs tomorrow on train.

SBF: High - 3/5. Several weddings in the City boost the rating.

Food: Great: "Galicia (the regional pie) and other hearty meat orientated dishes make this a non-vegetarian
paradise.

We will be of air for a day or so as no wi-fi......about to finish off the carton of Chateau Borat.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Fine architureFine architure
Fine architure

The Theathre
"Richard" "Richard"
"Richard"

Looking nervous but in one piece.......


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb