Geneva to Zurich, Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
January 9th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.38, 8.54

After a good nights sleep in our family room, we all got up and showered ready for breakfast, again it was toasts, spreads, ham and turkey, croissants and cheeses. There was also yoghurts and fruit too plus coffee. We went back and tidied our bags and then we all went our shopping, Melanie and Nikki heading to close by shops, while Clint and I jumped on a bus and took us over to Rive, this is the oldest part of the city (south from the lake) and was once surrounded by protective walls. Although the walls are no more, the Old Town still remains, built on the tallest hill in the city and topped by Saint Peters Cathedral. We checked out the church but it wasn't open today.
We wandered along the street, a bit like Rundle Mall, but not really, the tram running down the middle. So many shops everywhere but we didn't go in any. From here we walked across to the river/ lake and under the bridge to the view of the lake, as it was nearly 10am, we waited to watch the fountain start, but both of us were looking at settings on the camera and missed it!! Anyway, the fountain was spouting in the air, today it was a very grey day and didn't look as exciting. We walked across the bridge, took our last fountain selfie and then walked back to the hotel, time to get Melanie to the airport. So we gathered our bags and jumped on the train, 7 minutes to airport. From the train station, there was a bit of a walk, but we found the right area and got her checked in. Because there wasn't really anywhere we could go with still 3 suitcases in tow, we said goodbye to Melanie at this point and she went upstairs through to security check point.
From here, Clint, Nikki and myself went back down to the train station, and saw that was another train leaving 1 hour earlier than our scheduled time, so instead of waiting around, we chose to take this one. We were able to have our bags next to us which is always peace of mind, although we ended up in 2nd class rather than 1st class but couldn't be bothered shifting!
This train journey almost 3 hours and it snowed for most of the way. We were hoping to see lots along the way, but when everything is coated in snow, the view changes!
We arrived at 3.30pm, walked about 3-400m to our hotel, this time we were on the 5th floor (top) and stifling hot. We opened the windows to try and cool it down!
Back walking again, we went back through the shops in the train station, so many levels of platforms and shops and then we ended up on the other side of station and from here we tried to work out the map to head to the Main Street for shopping.
Clint left us, as we went into a shoe shop as he wanted to go exploring. We ended up just weaving in and out of different streets, just following which way most of the people went and we ended up in a busy shopping street. Always, someone will speak English, so I went into a young persons clothing shop and asked where they would go shopping for boots, the young lady was very helpful and took us outside and pointed us to the right direction. Nikki bought some boots here. Next we headed up the road, and ended up in laneways of shops, then we found an old Church, so I dragged Nikki up the hill so I could get a photo! Next we went down the hill and bumped into the river, we rang Clint and he happened to be close by. We all met up and made our way back to the train station as from here, we know the way back to the hotel.
Nearby to our Hotel, we found a take away kebab shop, they add hot chips to their wraps and looked good.
We went back to our room, and got stuck into our kebabs, and OMG, they were absolutely delicious. Not much to do in the 'tiny' room when there is 3 of us, we try to watch tv with only about 3 English speaking channels, so I usually do the travelpod or emails / Facebook and then become too tired to write, and then it's lights out!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



11th January 2017

Sounds like you are continuing to enjoy your holiday. I think this is another place to put on my wish list!
11th January 2017

Do you miss the ladder that much????
11th January 2017

What's that cow doing??
12th January 2017

Wow!!absolutely stunning.......love the photos Sue. it looks crisp and clean

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb