My Titlis excursion


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
January 4th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.0457, 8.30824

Once again we were up early as today we are going on a self guided tour of Mount Titlis, so we went wandering into the train station for some hot food and coffee and also bought sandwiches to take with us as I had already checked out the menu from the restaurant on Mount Titlis and knew they were tourist prices!!
We found the train to Engelberg, and we had 1st class tickets so went to carriage no 1. Straight away, off come all the winter woollies and we settle in for a 43 minute journey. As the train took off gently, the man sitting in the seats behind us asked " so what part of Australia are you from!!" They were from Toowoomba in Qld.
The journey was picturesque, not a lot of snow but at least we were seeing it. The further up we got to the mountain it was snowing, looked so fluffy. Our train journey ended at Engelberg and from here we got the shuttle bus to the cable car. Our tickets included the train, Cable car, the Glacier Cave, the Cliff walk, the Rotating Gondola (which is the only one in the world) and also the Ice Flyer, which is like a giant chair lift which goes over the Glacier.
We went in the 1st cable car, the climb in this was amazing, straight up for such a long distance, then the 2nd cable car, also so high and picturesque, so many skiers skiing down the slopes( smart arses!!). From here we took the rotating Gondola to the top of Mt Titlis, this was amazing, possibly 40-50 people in this gondola and it rotates so everyone gets to see the different views. We decided to see the glacier cave 1st, so we enter the 150 metre walkway, and descend 20 metres below the surface of the glacier, it is blue in colour which is caused by the refraction of light. The ice here was slippery, holding the rail you could slide along quite easily. The temperature here remains -1.5 inside the cave. Next we head to the Cliff walk, Europe's highest suspension bridge, 3041 metres above sea level, and 500 metres off the ground. The cliff walk is 1 metre wide and 100 metres long. The view was spectacular, the wind was 45km/hour, and -19 degrees, very hard to keep your fingers from not turning blue while trying to take photos! There was a selfie camera on this bridge so we took a family selfie!
The Ice Flyer leads off from here but due to the winds, it was closed, probably more of a Summer activity.
We went back to the viewing platform, where it was warm and we sat down and ate our packed lunch with a warm coffee. We went into the Lindt Chocolate shop and bought 2 chocolates each, ones we haven't tried before. We also collected our selfie photo (at a cost!!) and also bumped into the people from the train again.
Clint and I went back onto the Cliff Walk, climbing the stairs takes you breath away from the coldness of the air, so at the top, we had to get our breath back!! Clint just had to throw a snowball at me at 3041 metres!! Mel and Nikki went back into the Glacier Cave.
Back on the Rotating Gondola down to the next level, where we went into the adventure playground, we could have tobogganed but we didn't have the appropriate clothing on. Clint and I walked to the Igloo Bar, a proper bar set up inside with many rooms leading off from it, amazing the size on the inside, didn't look that big on the outside. We walked back to the cable car entrance to where the girls were waiting for us, caught the travellator to save walking in the snow! From here we went back to the bottom to catch the shuttle bus back to the train.
Back on the train again, also with the people we met earlier, who happened to be staying at the hotel next to ours.
Melanie and Nikki went shopping while we went across the river to catch up with a couple we met in Highbury several weeks before leaving. We discovered we were in the same part of the world at the same time so made arrangements to meet for drinks. Great to catch up and had 2 drinks each which came with a plate of Wasabi nuts, Olives and Smarties? lots of stories later we left to meet the girls for dinner. We found a Burger place close by, we all had Burgers and they were very good too. A quick stroll around the river area with Melanie and Nikki then off to the Hotel after a long day for a well earned rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th January 2017

Just looking at your snow pictures is making me feel cooler as we swelter through our 40 & 41 degree days here in Adelaide. Gorgeous pictures Stay warm.
6th January 2017

You guys love every second of it.
6th January 2017

Clint you look terrified , the bridge is safe you know , or maybe it tsue ,taken to long to take the photo .Did you forget the thermals it 41 deg here
6th January 2017

Come on dad hurry take the photo were freezing
6th January 2017

Clint it's not good to throw that at sue
6th January 2017

O so you did throw it , who caught it , or who Copt it lol
6th January 2017

So you Copt it yes throw it a Clint ,
7th January 2017

Looks absolutely fantastic enjoy.
8th January 2017

Hey you guys are having so much fun pictures are facinating...

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb