First Ski season term in Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
April 30th 2017
Published: April 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Term 2, our first winter in Europe, we spent most weekends up the mountain. The closest ski field is 30 minutes from our house in Switzerland, across the border in France. La Faucille in the Mont Jura range. Is it is a local french ski field, perfect for beginners. Murray the seasoned skier among us, has taught many to ski and snowboard in NZ. He taught Charlotte and Hayley to ski last year when we were on holiday visiting from Kenya. Emma did start to learn, but didn't listen and wasn't motivated. I did one afternoon snowboarding, but decided to learn to ski so I would be moving in the same direction as the family. Logistically skiing as a family is not straight forward. A lot of our friends book their kids into ski lessons and then ski. Murray was keen to teach us himself, so he would start Emma off on the baby slope, and then take Charlotte and Hayley up onto the more difficult runs. The benefit of not working, allowed me the opportunity to ski with some other mum friends while the kids were at school. This meant I progressed much faster and was able to help Emma more, while Murray could focus on the others. By the end of the season we could all ski as a family from the top of the mountain down the green run. Emma even tried a few jumps on the way down.

We survived our first winter.

A few other firsts:

Shovelling snow on our driveway,

Driving in the snow,

Emma started ballet,

Emma, Hayley and Charlotte started a drama course.



We also had some visitors. Jo, Duv and the kids came to ski at half term, it was so great seeing them and enjoying the slopes together.

Over the easter break we had Simon and Jo from our Kenyan days visit. It was so nice to see them and spend Easter break at Interlaken with them.

Our kids lifestyle can be amazing, but losing friends to relocation can often be the downside. It is so great for our kids to meet up with old friends and reconnect. Especially as we are still missing our Kenyan life and friendships in this phase.



We are feeling more settled in our Swiss home now, it is great to be within walking distance to the school. We have met the farmer at the back, and bought some fresh eggs from them. We have curtains!! And a trampoline. I am still missing working full time, but enjoying my part time netball coaching at an international school. Hopefully more work will come up for next academic year.

Murray has had a few work trips and will be heading to Turkey in a few weeks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb