Jungfraujoch


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
October 4th 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Berner Oberland RegionBerner Oberland RegionBerner Oberland Region

Jungfrau region
Well, today we woke up about 8:00 local time (2:00 am at home) and packed up and left the Happy Inn. We had to walk 3/4 mile or so across town to the Interlaken Ost (East) train station. We bought a train ticket to Lauterbrunnen ($5.60 each) and got on the train. Once there we had to find a place for our luggage so we asked at the train station and he said for $3.00 he would store it for us. We then bought tickets to Jungfraujoch. By the way the weather was SO awesome - absolutely clear sky and air, low humidity - just a tad cool in the morning but during the day it probably got up to 75 in the valley. The scenery we saw today would nearly blow your mind!! The mountains look a lot like the Colorado except just a lot prettier - much steeper and higher, etc. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to get up to Jungfraujoch on 2 different trains. These were not fast trains, in fact they were cogwheel trains because of the steep climb most of the way. They were very modern, clean and all electric, so they were quiet. We would pass a small herd of cows (or goats) and you could easily hear the steady jingle of the cowbells inside the train. Probably about 30 minutes of the ride was in a tunnel inside of the mountain. The tunnel was bored out over 100 years ago. When we got to the top we were surpised at all that was up there. It was almost like a small town, but I don't think anyone lives there. There were 6 restaurants there! We went through the Ice Palace which was a pretty large area of tunnels that were solid ice with quite a few ice sculptures. I would say there was probably 400 to 500 feet of ice tunnels. We went outside on the snow and to another area called the 'plateau' with great views of the valleys far below. We had a lunch at what they called the self-serve cafe. We shared a pork and noodle plate, bought 1 -less than 1/2 liter- Sprite and a roll and the total was 24.00 sf! Then we walked down about a 500 foot tunnel to a fast elevator that took us up to the Sphinx observatory which sits totally on the pinnacle of a peak so you could see down from all sides. I believe we could see for 40 or 50 miles at least and not a cloud in the sky. The sky was so dark blue and the snowy mountains so white that the contrast was quite amazinig. There was a snow trail that led away from the Sphinx about a 45 minute walk to another restaurant and motel that was around the peak of the mountain - that was the only way to get there - but we didn't go there. The temp up there was 34 degrees, but it didn't feel that cold except for one or two times when a little breeze came up. Once we got back to Lauterbrunnen we claimed our luggage and bought tickets to go to Murren where our motel was. The first part of the trip was by cable car - the capacity of the car said not over 100 people! Then we got on a train and rode about another 20 minutes to Murren. The sun had set in the valley, but was still shining on the snow capped mountains and made quite a scene! We walked to our motel and checked into our room. The motel is right on the side of the mountain and we've got a big window that opens wide with a view of the valley below. Now the villages are twinkling with lights and you can hear the cowbells jingling - nice! We walked a little down the quiet streets and then came back to the motel for supper. I had Hashed browns with ham in them and melted cheese over the top with a fried egg on top of all that. Dill pickles and pearl onions were spread around the egg and Linda had Goulash soup - at tasted like beef stew - was all good. Now its time to hit the hay and get ready for tomorrow.

Advertisement



4th October 2011

sounds like a lot of fun!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb