Jungfraujoch


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 4th 2019
Published: September 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

04 August 2019

There is a cog railway which starts in Lauterbrunnen at an altitude of 796m and runs steeply via Wengen (1247m), and Kleine Scheidegg (2016m) to arrive via a tunnel in the Eiger at Jungfraujoch(3454m) on the saddle between the Mönch and Jungfrau and the highest station in Europe. As the weather forecast was good for the day, we had booked tickets for the trip, but unfortunately Wendy had an upset stomach, so I made the journey on my own.

I caught the 7.35 train which arrived at Jungfraujoch at 9.05. The next 3 hours were spent admiring the view of the surrounding peaks and 23k long Aletsch Glacier from the Sphinx meteorological station, walking up to the Mönchsjochhütte at 2650m and being amazed at the number of other tourists who turned up as the morning wore on. On the way down I got off the train at the Eigergletscher station and walked for 2 hours along a mountain path which ran spectacularly below the north face of the Eiger to the hamlet of Alpiglen. I caught the train again there and returned to Lauterbrunnen via Grindelwald.

When I arrived back at the van it was to find that Wendy had slept most of the day but was on the road to recovery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb