The Glacier Express Train to Zermatt


Advertisement
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Zermatt
March 19th 2016
Published: March 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We both agree that train travel is incredibly romantic. We’ve probably watched too many movies….but we’re Americans. We live in a country where railroads are something that blocks traffic at exactly the wrong time while you sit and watch tanker cars, spray painted by exuberant artists roll by while you just sit….but we know that in other countries, it is a way people actually travel…and ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Heavenly viewHeavenly view
Heavenly view

ravishing
Travel BlogTravel Blog
Travel Blog

written in snow
Do you want to go ski?Do you want to go ski?
Do you want to go ski?

Miles of trails
Smashing viewsSmashing views
Smashing views

just one more glance
Carriage ride is ZermattCarriage ride is Zermatt
Carriage ride is Zermatt

Beautiful mountain town
Brutus on the TrainBrutus on the Train
Brutus on the Train

An experienced traveler
Quiet SolitudeQuiet Solitude
Quiet Solitude

Serenity in the snow
Impressive viewsImpressive views
Impressive views

The Glacier Express route
Vibrant skyVibrant sky
Vibrant sky

Mysterious
All skiers welcomeAll skiers welcome
All skiers welcome

Give it a try
The world is flocked in whiteThe world is flocked in white
The world is flocked in white

Peaceful Switzerland
GorgeousGorgeous
Gorgeous

Switzerland is magic
Isolated housesIsolated houses
Isolated houses

along the train route



20th March 2016

Yosemite Sam
When I read Matterhorn, the Looney tunes cartoon immediately came to mind. Great pictures and description as always.
21st March 2016

Yosemite Sam
Fifty thousand Kronkites.......all mine!!
21st March 2016

Snow....".
Lovely----and very peaceful looking!
21st March 2016

Snow
I always wanted to see Switzerland in the winter and Dave wanted the summer. It was his trip so he got to pick. We've postponed it a couple of times so he finally gave in. He's realized the beauty of the snow and how different it would look in the summer. We may be back in the summer at some point but he is very happy with what we have done and what he has seen.
21st March 2016

Snowy perfection
Isn't snow more beautiful and romantic when the sun is out and you are on holiday? We feel the same away about train travel as you do...and this train trip looks seriously amazing. What a birthday trip Dave is having! Beautiful photos as usual.
21st March 2016

Snowy perfection
Switzerland is romantic. The incredible mountain views are simply gorgeous. The snow flocking the world is a treat. The train was a special added treat. Dave is having a wonderful birthday trip. The weather has been great except for the 1st couple of days when it was cloudy....so we cannot complain. We always add too many photos because it is hard to narrow them down. I'm sure most people only look at half of them but that is ok. Switzerland is so lovely I wanted every angle captured.
21st March 2016

Happy sun!
We are so happy for you that you really enjoy your trip through our country :-). And that you have such an incredably nice weather. We have never seen such a blue sky around the Matterhorn. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
21st March 2016

Nina and Markus
We feel very fortunate to have seen all that we have seen and in outstanding weather. Your country and your hospitality has been endless. It was great meeting you. Our paths are likely to cross again soon.
21st March 2016

Gotta love the train trip
That looks like one amazing train journey. I bet you are both now glad to see Switzerland at this time of year rather than summer, it just looks so incredible.
21st March 2016

Gotta love that train trip
We really are glad that we came to Switzerland this time of year and feel fortunate that we have had so much sun. We are living the life....but it comes to an end very soon....and then back to work.
21st March 2016
Zermatt Street Food

Yes please!
Ok, the snow pictures are amazing, but this pops up and snow and mountains are forgotten. Beer, then sausage. Sign me up. Seriously though, the pictures here are beautiful. I have wanted to ride the Glacier Express ever since I saw the IMAX movie The Alps. So happy that you were able to do this.
21st March 2016
Zermatt Street Food

Yes please
We'll see if they will wrap you up a sausage and get it sent your way. It was tasty. Switzerland is all we had hoped for and more. So much beauty. Thanks for following.
21st March 2016
The Matterhorn

Snow and sun!
The weather goddess must have known it was Dave's birthday, so sent you perfect weather. Before my last 4-year journey around Europe, I endlessly watched promotional videos on the Glacier Express--and you took it! When we meet, I want to see all 400 photos--these are grand! And how great that you got to meet Nina and Markus [blogger=73241]. Hopefully, these memories will keep you cool in the heat of your new Florida home.
21st March 2016
The Matterhorn

Snow and Sun
The Glacier Express reality is better than the video. It was serene. Hour after hour of amazing scenery. Yes the weather gods have played in our favor. Soon we'll be back at work wondering how the time went so quickly but we do look forward to seeing our place again.
25th March 2016
Sensational Matterhorn

The Matterhorn
I reckon the Matterhorn is the world's premier mountain. It has a finesse that is all its own, an elegance, an arrogance, a look at me I'm a natural pyramid standing in splendid white...all alone. Love it!
25th March 2016
Sensational Matterhorn

The Matterhorn
Agreed Dancing One. It is one of those earthly features that you want to simply sit and look at....which is precisely what we did for over an hour. Stunning in its majesty.
26th March 2016

Pretty Switzerland
From Egyptian desert to the majestic snowy Swiss Alps. Quite a contrast. You are seeing it all in this trip. Trains in Switzerland make it easy to soak in the wonderful landscape all around. The wintry landscape looks pretty as evident from your photos. I guess, even for a non-skier, there should be plenty to see and do in Switzerland during winter.
26th March 2016

Pretty Switzerland
Yes there is more than enough to keep a non-skier entertained. The sledding would have been fun. Maybe next time. Thank you for following along and commenting. We have had a good contrast on this trip. Surrounding by stunning mountains.
28th March 2016

The Glacier Express
I've been thinking of doing the Glacier Express for some time now and reading your blog makes me want to make it a reality. What beautiful photos, I can see why you ended up taking so many.
28th March 2016

The Glacier Express
We enjoyed it and felt it was well worth the effort. Amazing views for hours. Please let us know if you go.
1st April 2016
The Matterhorn Express

Gorgeous photo
I love this photo..what a spectacular journey. So jealous!
1st April 2016
The Matterhorn Express

Gorgeous photo
Thank you....it was a moment in time that we will cherish. As you say a spectacular ride.
3rd April 2016

Snow galore
What an amazing train ride... I must do it one day. I am a bit late catching up with this leg of your journey ... And also sorry that I didn't make it to London to meet with you. Fabulous photos and commentary as always. And what a variety of landscapes you have encountered this trip.
3rd April 2016

Snow galore
We completely understand not being able to meet up with you. Our paths will cross again soon. It was an amazing train ride and so glad we did it in the winter. The world was flocked in white. It was perfect.
29th April 2016

wow! amazing photographs! Love the photo 'Mysterious' Sounds like you have had a wonderful trip...I've been catching up on all your recent travels - Israel, Jordan etc.Fantastic! We weren't brave enough to go to Jerusalem and Nazareth, Bethlehem etc but enjoyed the Dead Sea and Masada Fort. Your blog makes me want to go everywhere!!
29th April 2016

Jackie and Chris
Our trip was wonderful. We didn't feel unsafe at any time on our trip. Jerusalem, Nazareth and Bethlehem were wonderful. I hope you will consider it. Jordan is special. Switzerland has beautiful scenery-- each view more amazing than the next. I hope you will get to go everywhere!

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 23; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb