Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Mürren
July 22nd 2012
Published: July 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The first day in Switzerland we decided to delay what is supossed to be the highlght of the trip, an excursion to the top of the Jungfrau, until tomorrow in hopes of better weather. Today the weather is cloudy with occasional sprinkles. But its great hiking weather even without the views.

So after breakfast we rounded up some picnic supplies (we actually planned ahead and purchased everything we needed, except some cheese, down in the valley the night before) and headed up to Allmenburhl for a couple of hour hike back down to Murren which was mostly downhill.

While in Murren it actually started to rain, so we curtailed our sightseeing and popped into a fancy little hotel for a warm drink and some dessert. We had a greaticnic lunch on the mountain but no dessert.

That evening we made our way to Lauterbrunnen to a folk music festival. Really it was more of a performance for us tourists, but the traditional costumes, the flag twirling, and the Alpen horns were a lot of fun. And the yodeling was superb. Elizabeth liked the high pitched leads, but I was fond of the little old man with big bushy, shock white eyebrows that led the bass section. It was really good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Time for lunch!Time for lunch!
Time for lunch!

One thing about the weather, there was no one else around, just a flock of sheep and two lonely milk cows.
Told you there were sheep.Told you there were sheep.
Told you there were sheep.

And all there bells clinking made a perfect Alpine lunch concert.
huge cowbellhuge cowbell
huge cowbell

Two of the local boys rode the lift down with us with their cowbells. Turned out they were in the folkmusic festval "playing" their bells


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb