D-day minus 3


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Lausanne
October 13th 2011
Published: October 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our last week in the old continent has been filled with a plenty of action, emotions and goodbyes as well as consuming immoderate amounts of aromatically challenging French and Swiss cheeses, something we will be missing dearly in Asia.

As our departure to Bangkok is looming, the news coming in from Thailand are causing some concern. The country is currently experiencing the worst flooding in a half century with floods swelled across two-thirds of Thailand since July and a death toll exceeding 300. Bangkok is yet to be hit, but it is bracing for flooding in a few days, as waters from elsewhere in Thailand continue to surge towards the low-lying capital. Although, there are frantic efforts taking place to strengthen the flood barricades around the capital, evacuation plans are simultaneously being drafted, as northern Bangkok's last line of defense is close to being breached by flood water. The forces of Nature strike back relentlessly.

*Update* According to the most recent news from Bangkok, a number of northern flood levees have collapsed and some areas on the outskirt of Bangkok are now under water and are being evacuated. On a more positive note, we learned from tourism authority of Thailand's web site that the floating markets are fully operational and they are open for business as per usual.

At the moment, we are not too worried, as worrying will not do us any good nor can it change anything. We will adopt a zen-like mentality and assess our situation once we are there. We might have to adjust our road map and leave for Nepal sooner rather than later or alternatively procure a longtail boat with a native navigator. We will keep you posted. On vous tiendra au courant.

"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are." - A Zen proverb

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb