Bangkok, we love you long time


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 20th 2011
Published: October 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Unlike the great fun-loving cities of Gomorrah, New Orleans and Sodoma, each of them obliterated either by the divine wrath or by the Republican Party, it seems Bangkok, the city of angels, has evaded the imminent cataclysm and carries on partying like there is no tomorrow, as it has proudly done for past four decades ever since the Vietnam war era when the American GIs were flown in for rest and recuperation. That is to say, the floodwalls and the levees of the city are withstanding the relentless assault of floodwaters and preventing the city proper from getting inundated and our feet getting wet. Evidently,the city had braced itself for the worst though, given that most establishments have hastily built low sandbag walls around them, our cosy hotel included, and supermarkets have empty shelves for essential provisions such as bottled water. Mind you, we took a room on the top floor, better safe than sorry.

The first lesson you ought to learn about Bangkok is that Thais never call their beloved capital Bangkok. If you want to have some respect among the natives, call the city by its true name: Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit - The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn. Easy to remember such a modest name? Alternatively you may just call it Krung Thep, as the natives do.

We might be able to remember few of the words from the name of this great city by the time our trip will be over, but for now we master 'one', 'two', 'three', 'thank you', 'hello' and 'good bye' and 'it is delicious'. The last one we have been employing quite a few times to express our gratitude to the ubiquitous street vendors who have kept our energy level up, so we could cope with heat, noise and rain of Krung Thep. We will soon make an entire post on our culinary exploration of Thai cuisine.

To keep you dear reader hungry for more, we call it a day now and in our next post shall share with you what we have been up to so far. Nothing too sinful, rest assured, otherwise we wouldn't share it with you, after all our moms might be reading this.


Advertisement



22nd October 2011

Wet feet yet?
22nd October 2011

Waiting for the tide
Not quite yet, so far only a wet back thanks to tropical humidity. Despite of all of the flooded images in the media, central Bangkok remains dry as martini.
24th October 2011

Many Happy Returns (and ends for that matter) for our friends in Bangkok!
25th October 2011

The happy ending is nigh
Your friends in Bangkok are delighted to hear from you. Indeed, our flirting with the continuously escalating natural disaster might have a happy ending, as we are flying to Kathmandu on Friday and the city proper is expected to be swamped on the weekend.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb