Celerina, St Moritz


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » St. Moritz
December 9th 2014
Published: December 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A frozen Lake da StazA frozen Lake da StazA frozen Lake da Staz

This small lake lies close to St Moritz
There was a light sprinkling of snow on the ground as well as covering the roofs of houses as we looked out over the town. It was clear enough for skiers to be going up in the gondolas to the higher slopes. We decided we would walk through the forest from Celerina to Lake da Staz then around Lake St Moritz.

But first a visit to the Information Office where we asked about wi-fi and some hiking options. We soon had all of our gear on despite the sun being out and headed off into the forest. It was -3 degrees with a cool light breeze blowing, chilling things even further. Lake da Staz was frozen over and looked pretty in the sun with the mountains behind. Around Lake St M we were out of the sun and into a breeze making it very cold - Lindsay had two hats on. Around the lake we were soon back into the town with it’s glitzy shops. I’ve never seen so many fur shops and hairy or furry boots! Not for the average Kiwi. Then over the hill we went and back down to Celerina following the Cresta Bobsled Run which was being formed for the season. They were trucking in the snow, dumping it in place and then shovelling and patting into shape with flat shovels. Snow machines were blowing in many places as the snow has come late and there isn’t as much as usual. We were out for four hours and were quite happy to get back into a warm heated room.



It is a truly beautiful area scenery wise. The valley floors have small lakes and towns surrounded by high snow covered mountains with many options for getting up them – gondolas, funiculars and cable cars. Buses and trains run between them all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb