To Celerina via Chur and Thussis


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » St. Moritz
December 8th 2014
Published: December 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Snow covered forestSnow covered forestSnow covered forest

This actually a coloured photo. A truly winternscene from the train after Thussis on the way over the Pass to the Engadin valley
So we say goodbye to the built up busy north and hello to a sparsely populated east Switzerland and also snow. Our train took us to Zurich, Churn and then a regional train through to Celerina which is about 1km from St Moritz. Once we left Thussis we were on the UNESCO world acclaimed railway, acknowledged as one of the most beautiful in the world. We were surrounded by high, rocky mountains covered with snow and deep gorges. We toured through forests dripping with snow. It was a very beautiful scene and a true winter wonderland. The railway climbed and spiraled on itself from 560m to 1800m over striking viaducts with views high above villages and ski resorts. Finally we headed down the other side of the mountains, through a 5km tunnel and finally below the snow to Samedan and Celerina. The continuance to this is the Bernina Pass which we will do on another day.

Finding our apartment wasn’t straight forward but we eventually got there. It is conveniently placed close to the railway station and the cableway up to Margans. It is quite small but has the essentials and is warm. After stocking up on supplies for the week we relaxed after our past busy week. It’s very cold here with patches of snow lying about the ground and a lot covering the hills not far away. Much warm gear will be needed around here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb