Summer in the Swiss Alps - Episode I - Engadin


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » Sils-Maria
July 4th 2020
Published: July 23rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

Val Fex, a wonderfully secluded small side valley of the Engadin, just above Sils Maria.The room in our beautifully renovated old barn pointed towards the glacier and gave us magnificent views of the Alpine landscape as we woke up and looked out from our room window. Quiet romantic and secluded, what else can we ask for. The only sound we heard was the rustle of the mountain creek and of course the cow bells from the grazing cows on the alpine pastures surrounding us. Pensiun Chesa Pool Val Fex, the name of our accommodation, turned out not only to have a magnificent location, but also a delicious cuisine, albeit being vegetarian. The four days and three nights we stayed there pulled us right out of the big city life of Bangkok and gave us a wonderful feeling of connectivity with nature. The weather god was on our side too and we enjoyed wide blue skies with very warm temperatures all the while.

As our accommodation was om 1900m altitude we were already in the middle of the hiking environment. Getting used to the altitude was an important factor before we dared to venture on altitudes above 2500m. On our third day however we did the Piz Churen with close to 2800m. Although for Nui hiking in such an environment was something completely new, she mastered the art of climbing, balancing and sweating marvelously. She must have been in her previous life a mountain girl !

A visit of St. Moritz and the town of Sils Maria is a must when in the Engadin. So we did our 'cultural' duty and visited these villages. Unfortunately we chose a Sunday. To our surprise despite being in the middle of the summer season, all shops were closed and renting even bicycles or buying sun cream became a challenge. Quite unbelievable for tourist places of such international reputation. But then Switzerland stays Switzerland and it seems the holy Sunday retail service culture is not negotiable.

Thank you Thomas Campana for setting s up in this wonderful Val Fex experience. After unique (in may ways) four day we packed and drove back to Wil, from where more alpine exploring is awaiting us in the the North East part of Switzerland, more precisely in the Alpstein and Pitzol mountain ranges.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The steeper the hill ....The steeper the hill ....
The steeper the hill ....

.... the nicer the view !

Lake of SilvaplanaLake of Silvaplana
Lake of Silvaplana

with St Moritz
Lake SilsLake Sils
Lake Sils

and the Maloja Pass

More hiking More hiking
More hiking

Honeymoon or army camp ???


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb