19th Aug - Lugano, Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » Lugano
August 20th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heaps of McDonalds over here!Heaps of McDonalds over here!Heaps of McDonalds over here!

And we haven't even been inside any - sorry Kristin!
Hello all from Switzerland somewhere near Lugano, even we don’t know exactly where we are - we just followed the camping ground signs!
Another travelling day for us today - all the way from Sestri Levanto in Italy to Lugano in Switzerland. We took some of the back roads through Italy to see the country side on our way to Switzerland. The towns are all quite small yet really close together. They have that real Italian feel with a small town, narrow footpaths, clothes hanging from windows and always an old man or two sitting outside watching everything going by!
Daniel has decided that the ‘I’ in the Italian number plates must stand for ‘Idiots’ as this is how the Italians drive. They overtake in the dodgiest areas - right by corners or in narrow streets. They all have very little patience - hence the dodgy overtaking. They also like to cut corners, so on these weavy narrow roads you really have to watch out as often there is a car in your lane coming the other way. Heaps of them drive around in little motorbikes or step-through motorbikes - apparently this gives them the right to pass everything in front of them, no matter what side of the road they drive on, and it gives them the right to overtake all queues at traffic lights to park in front of everyone! Then there is the parking - doesn’t matter how small the street is, they’ll still park there and block off the entire lane. Sometimes if you’re lucky they’ll put on hazard lights, but most of the time they just park. I don’t really blame them, as it’s a nightmare to find any parking in some of those small towns.
Anyway, enough about the Italians lack of driving finesse, we were talking about the drive to Switzerland. We passed our first real boarder control since arriving in Europe - it was really tough - we drove up, and the two male boarder control guards looking at us and waved us through, no passports, no documents - not a thing!
It’s amazing the difference between countries which is noticeable straight away. The houses look much more ‘Swiss’, there are big mountains everywhere, beautiful lakes, Swiss flags etc, etc.
We found a place to swap some money and followed the signs to a camping ground. There were four camping grounds down this
SwitzerlandSwitzerlandSwitzerland

This is the lake we are camping by.
street but my theory is always choose the second one as the first one will have all the tourists who are just glad they’ve found something, and if we don’t like the second we can always carry on. So we now have a lovely camping ground right by the lake. There are not too many people here and it’s nice and quiet! The showers are free and hot! Most of the free showers we have come across have been cold with a small dribble of hot water mixed in. And we once again have toilet paper and toilet seats - oh, the luxuries!
Now only one more thing to ask for - less biting bugs. I must have some kind of delectable scent as my legs are covered in big welts from biting insects - whereas Daniel doesn’t even have one! How unfair.


Advertisement



20th August 2008

McDonalds
I suppose I can forgive you about not being in a McDonalds! I have been in a one in Zurich and their food isnt that great! Looks like you guys are having a blast! Super Super Cool!
20th August 2008

Found Again
Nice to hear from you again. We thought you must have been kidnapped. So the Italians only do pizza and pasta and no internet. Ah well great to read of your exploits. Did you actually go up the Leaning Tower? Love Dad
21st August 2008

Found again
Hi - yeah, been a while since we last had internet. No, we didn't go up the leaning tower. Hot, hot day and reasonable queues, plus it was quite expensive.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb