Swiss Roadie Trip Day 7 - Morcote


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » Lugano
June 16th 2019
Published: June 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

It’s time to start our 900 mile drive home. First stop, brunch in Como. After 4 circuits of town trying to find a parking space, we picnic on the shores of Lake Como.

Alessandro Volta, inventor of the battery, was from Como. There is a museum in his honour, Tempio Voltiano, on the shore. Plus you can walk along a jetty to the Life Electric sculpture in the middle of the lake. It’s not a very pleasant walk - both the jetty and the lake are covered in debris.

We stroll along the prom until we reach the funicular. From here you can, theoretically, travel 720m up the hillside for a stunning view of the lake. However, the old man declares the queue is too long so we return to the van and continue to our overnight destination – Morcote.

Morcote is a lovely place (voted Switzerland’s most beautiful village in 2016) with absolutely no parking except for one multi-storey. We attempt entry but hit the top of the barrier. We finally manage to park a mile out of town at a cost of £2 an hour. We trudge back to Morcote with our luggage in the 30 degree heat. I’m not impressed. And then I see how many steps we have to climb to reach our B&B.

But it’s worth the climb. Our room, halfway up the hill, has a great view over Lake Lugano and the mountains beyond.

Everything in Morcote is expensive (even for Switzerland) so we buy some expensive beer and spend the evening on our lakeside balcony enjoying the view with our expensive beer and leftover picnic.











Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb