Lucerne


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
October 12th 2010
Published: October 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Lucerne--October 12
The overcast skies that greeting us this morning in Zurich followed us to Lucerne, where overcast thickened into stubborn fog during our days here. Lucerne's vibrancy was muted by the dreary weather and the gray light, but not to be daunted, we wandered along the Reuss River and through the pedestrian-only old town and enjoyed her charms...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hotel Des Alpes, LucerneHotel Des Alpes, Lucerne
Hotel Des Alpes, Lucerne

Our room is on the top floor just under the space between Des and Alpes in the rooftop lettering.
Lake LucerneLake Lucerne
Lake Lucerne

The view from our hotel window of a steel gray Lake Lucerne, with peaks surrounding it invisible due to fog.
Chapel BridgeChapel Bridge
Chapel Bridge

The Lucerne landmark--which we look directly out on from our balcony--dates from the early 14th century. It was built at an angle across the Reuss River that spills into Lake Lucerne, in order to connect fortification towers on each shore.
Water TowerWater Tower
Water Tower

The water tower, built about 1300, was incorporated into the bridge. (Note swans, which are everywhere here, as well.)
Inside Mill BridgeInside Mill Bridge
Inside Mill Bridge

Just a short distance up the Reuss River from the Chapel Bridge sits its sister, the Mill Bridge. Unlike the Chapel Bridge, the Mill Bridge is completely original. Both bridges feature reproductions of the original 17th century paintings under their roofs.
Weinmarkt PlazWeinmarkt Plaz
Weinmarkt Plaz

Originally a marketplace for wine, the ground floors of the original buildings house upscale boutiques.
Old Pharmacy BuildingOld Pharmacy Building
Old Pharmacy Building

Words read "AMOR MEDICABILIS NULLIS HERBIS"--"No medicine can cure love"
Old City HallOld City Hall
Old City Hall

Tower and clock mark the medieval city hall.
Mural on Pfeistern House RestaurantMural on Pfeistern House Restaurant
Mural on Pfeistern House Restaurant

Across from the City Hall Tower was this building with a mural depicting (we think) the crests of medieval guilds. We had dinner there, each of us trying an interesting Lucerne specialty.
Goethe Slept HereGoethe Slept Here
Goethe Slept Here

Also spotted in the City Hall Plaz...
Chestnut StandChestnut Stand
Chestnut Stand

A sure sign of fall, stands selling roasted and raw chestnuts can be found all over the town.
Rosengart Collection MuseumRosengart Collection Museum
Rosengart Collection Museum

One of the highlights of the day was the Rosegart Collection of impressionist, post-impressionist, and modern art. Collected by Siegfried Rosegart, who was a personal friend to many of the artists represented, as well as a collector. The collection focuses on Picasso--the full chronology of all his "periods" are represented, as well as many media. One unexpected highlight was the display of candid, up close and personal photographs taken by David Douglas Duncan, an American, in Picasso's later years. Gave great insight into the man, his work and home life, and his last love, Jacqueline. The rest of the collection is a who's who of any art history class--Monet to Matisse to Miro. And a pallate used by Chagall was fascinating. We both really enjoyed our couple of hours browsing here. (Sorry no photos allowed...)


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb