Zurich


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich
October 11th 2010
Published: October 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

San Francisco to Zurich in pictures...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Ze PlaneZe Plane
Ze Plane

Plane waiting for take off at SFO-no indication from this peaceful looking photo of the special kind of hell awaiting on board, with the claustrophobia created by having the back of the seat in front of you in your lap for 11 hours, compounded by screaming baby a few rows ahead and screaming toddler a few rows back... The only saving grace was the wide array of movies and TV shows available on the individual screens mounted on the aforementioned seat backs.
Guardian AngelGuardian Angel
Guardian Angel

We arrive at the Zurich train station, look up and see this “guardian angel” suspended from the ceiling–things are looking up!
Old Town ZurichOld Town Zurich
Old Town Zurich

There is enough daylight left to explore old town Zurich for a few hours. We wandered through the charming streets along the Limmat River, with Rick Steves in hand to point out the highlights.
Fraumunster ChurchFraumunster Church
Fraumunster Church

A Zurich resident on the plane suggested we not miss the Chagall stained glass windows in the Fraumunster Church–wonderful!
Swiss Folk MusicSwiss Folk Music
Swiss Folk Music

As we exited the Fraumunster, we followed the sounds of music to a nearby platz where there was an impromptu concert taking place. The sound these instruments make is mellow and reverant, but we still have yet to find out what they are called.
Swiss SweetsSwiss Sweets
Swiss Sweets

Nearby we stumbled upon the Sprungli Confecterie & Cafe, most famous for its many flavors of tiny macaroon cookies.
Macaroon MadnessMacaroon Madness
Macaroon Madness

We felt it was necessary to purchase a selection of macaroons from Sprungli as part of our cultural experience.
Lake ZurichLake Zurich
Lake Zurich

We wandered down river until we reached Lake Zurich.
Swan LakeSwan Lake
Swan Lake

The beginning of our Swiss swan experience–you were expecting cows?
Swans.2Swans.2
Swans.2

This photo lacks scale, but the swans here are the biggest we’ve seen anywhere.
Dusk Along the Limmat RiverDusk Along the Limmat River
Dusk Along the Limmat River

The spires and clocks of Fraumunster Church and St. Peter’s Church in the background.
Swiss ClocksSwiss Clocks
Swiss Clocks

The spire of St. Peter’s Church, which has one of the biggest clock faces in Europe at 28 feet in diameter.
Fondue!Fondue!
Fondue!

A little jet lag doesn’t take away from enjoying our fondue dinner at Le Dezaley restaurant.


Tot: 0.5s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.4704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb