Switzerland - Travel Diaries 3


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Berne
June 11th 2004
Published: June 11th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Switzerland is best known as a neutral country during most of last century. This is very surprising because Switzerland bordered war-torn Austria, France, Italy, Liechtenstein, and Germany during the great wars.

The official language in Switzerland is German but most people do also speak a bit of French and English to some degree. The population is just over 7 million. There are over 11 million tourists visit this country annually.

Geneva and Interlaken is just a couple of the many highlights this country has to offer. My stop was in the beautiful city of Bern, the capital of Switzerland. Switzerland is very expensive and is better known as a tourist spot than anything else. You’ll need to budget at least CN$40-50 spending money per day.

The Alps is the main attraction to see visit Switzerland, with their towering peaks and mountain valleys.

The Swiss capital is Bern. Its name means bear. It is no wonder why this city’s mascot is a bear. Legend has it that Bern was named after the first animal that was killed during a famous hunt in 1191. The famous city bear pit is an adventure onto itself. So, let’s head down to the pit by way of the Spitalgasse, which I’ll tell you more later on. Now, you’ll need to walk along the main streets of old Bern until we cross the Nydeggbrucke Bridge. Since the 16th century, the bears find their home here. Due to its old location and complaints against the cruel treatment of these bears, a newer home for the bears is in the planning stage.

Bern is a beautiful city all year round. In the winter, you can hop on a train to visit many of the renowned ski resorts. It’s only a short trip away from the city. In the summer, you can hike up to the mountains for view beautiful vistas. In all my years of camping, hiking and traveling in the back countries of Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario, there weren’t a place that is as refreshing as the Swiss countryside!

Finding accommodation in Bern is no big deal. There are lots of hotels, bed ‘n’ breakfast inns, as well as international youth hostels. I rate the Backpackers Youth Hostel a 6 out of 10. It’s a neat place to stay. You meet a lot of people there. You can also get around the city easily from the hostel. It’s unusal to find not too many North Americans tourists staying here though. As a Calgarian, I feel way out of place here! Anyhow, it was cool to be in a fine city like Bern. It’s so different than any place in Alberta, BC or Ontario. The staffs serving us at the hostel are very friendly, helpful and courteous. In return, you must compromise a bit in way of privacy due to large groups of school kids from all over Europe.

Around town, you can find the EBay head office very easily. The American Embassy is well located but you couldn’t get near the place within a 100 feet perimeter. Hmmmmmm… I wonder why? Anyway, sightseeing Bern is fun. The best is still finding out what’s hot and happening in Swiss watch fashion!

Okay, onto the Spitalgasse. They are streets lined with rows of eye catching shops in Bern’s old town. Like most European cities, they are full of century old arcades and fountains. Berne is now on the UNESCO list for World Heritage Sites.

Oh yeah, did I tell you about Swiss clocks? Since1530, clocks are the dominant treasures of this city. They also function as astronomical clock as well. Munster in Bern literally towers over the city. This basilica was built in 1421. The main thing that makes Bern so special is its rapid river. Its color is milky blue. It runs very fast. If you dive into the rushing river, you can eventually float back to the same spot in no time.

I walk over to a hillside above Bern. I hope it doesn't start raining when I get to the top. I should have taken the tram instead.

Switzerland is a great skiing nation. I love visiting here. It’s time to move on though. There is so much to do and sightseeing here in Bern!

The train is coming… and I’m off to see Luxembourg next.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.415s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb