Bonjour Paris! - Travel Diaries 5


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 11th 2004
Published: June 11th 2004
Edit Blog Post

With its breezy boulevards, excellent cafés, historic museums and avant-guard fashions, Paris is the essence of all things French. This city of 2.15 million people is the premier destination for Canadian tourists traveling to Europe.

I arrived at the Gare de l'Est Station in Paris early one morning with the hope of spending as much time as possible in the legendary City of Light. From its many historic building to its haute coffee shops, Paris exudes a feeling of romance and infects its visitors with a desire to love and be loved.

I stayed at Paris Friends Hostel and discovered that it was the best place I have ever stayed at to make new friends. One of the drawbacks to staying at this particular hostel is that it is located in the worst neighborhood in Paris. Other drawbacks are that it was overbooked, is quite run down and can get very hot, particularly when 20 or more people are in the big dorm.

The Tour Eiffel can be a breath taking experience; it was built in 1889 for the Exposition Universelle (World Fair). In 1909 the tower was almost torn down but found its salvation in its new function as a radio tower. Compared to many buildings in other European cities the tower is not that large. But given that most buildings in Paris are less then 6 stories tall and that the tower has so much history, it was amazing sight to see.

One day I caught a ride to the Ave de Champs Élysées. The Ave de Champ Élysées is considered the world's most famous avenue. It is one of twelve avenues that intersect at the world's most famous traffic circle, the Arc de Triomphe. The Arc De Triomphe was commissioned in 1806 by Napoleon to commemorate the victories of Imperial France.

My visit to Paris would not have been complete without a visit to Cathédrale Notre Dame. If Paris has a heart, this Notre Dame is certainly it. Notre Dame's immense interior is a marvel of medieval engineering and holds over 6000 people. If you have the stomach to climb the cathédrale's north tower, past many of its frightening gargoyles, you will see one of the most spectacular views of Paris available.

I spent my last day in Paris shopping and hanging out with some of the people I met at the hostel. We ended up spending the whole night in each other's company since none of use wanted to sleep in the cockroach-infested hostel another night. I returned to the hostel two hours before my train left and soon had to say goodbye to my new friends and the legendary City of Light.

I am off to Brussels next with minimal sleep!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb