Norway and Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich
June 4th 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Norway-OsloNorway-OsloNorway-Oslo

Just arrived in Oslo-Wendy with Ingebjorg
23rd and 24th May
We left about 7:15am for a train to take us from Kolback (near Hallstahammar) to Katrineholm to then catch the train to Oslo. Our ticket to Oslo was from Stockholm but it was much easier to take the train from Kolback as Hallstahammer is some distance from Stockholm. Our trip was very long, but it was really nice to see the countryside.


We arrived in Oslo mid afternoon, and were met by Ingebjorg, who is a Norwegian lady we met 5 years ago when she and her colleague (Unni) came to visit Bendigo Senior Secondary College. Ingebjorg and Unni stayed with us at our home for a few days, so we were happy to see them again. Both Ingebjorg and Unni are principals of 2 very different types of schools for children aged 16 to 19 years.


Ingebjorg took us for a stroll around beautiful Oslo and we had some drinks on the wharf before heading, by train to her home town of Mjondalen near Drumman which took us about 1 ¼ hours. Her husband Erik met us at the station and drove us to their home which Erik has doubled in size
Norway -OsloNorway -OsloNorway -Oslo

Kings Palace
in recent years with a very modern extension. Both Rob and I, very rudely, promptly went to sleep in our bedroom while Ingebjorg prepared dinner. We had a beautiful traditional Norwegian dinner with plenty of alcohol (see photo). Rob really enjoyed the Aquavit.


The next day Unni joined us for a drive around their district including Drumman where we visited some very old mills that are now used as Art Galleries and work places for artists. The gallery names are Fredfoss Kunstpark (Art park), Arena Vestfossen and Gulden Artgallery (Steinberg). Unni re joined us for dinner on the second night, with her husband, Vidar where we once again had a sumptuous Norwegian dinner, this time it was a typical Christmas dinner with a variety of hot meats cooked in the Norwegian way. An example, if my memory was correct, was a dried lamb that was cooked very slowly sitting on birch wood sticks in a pot - very tender and tasty. Of course, we had plenty of beer and wine.


25th May. We had had a very late night so we slept late today. The daylight is even longer here and in Sweden compared to Ireland.
Norway -OsloNorway -OsloNorway -Oslo

Bike hire system-pickup and drop off elsewhere
It isn’t getting dark now until about 11pm or later and then starting to get light about 4am. Apparently, in the middle of summer it doesn’t get completely dark and if you are in the northern end of Norway you see the sun nearly set before rising again on the horizon.


After our sleep-in and breakfast we then went into the mountainous areas surrounding Mjondalen for a walk into hills, to a big lake area. We walked for about 3/4 hour, stopped for coffee and snack at the lake that Ingebjorg and Erik brought with them, and then walked back to the car. On our walk we saw a very agile mink race up a tree and spring from tree to tree. The views of the valley and around the lake were absolutely fantastic.


In the afternoon, we had dinner in town on the beautiful river, before a walk into town and the surrounding area and then we drove to visit Unni and Ingebjorg’s schools. Both schools are very special and very different, and both principals should be very proud of their achievements with these schools. Both are senior mainstream for years 10 to 12.
Norway -MjondalenNorway -MjondalenNorway -Mjondalen

Ingebjorg and Erik with Norwegian meal and drinks

Ingebjorg’s school is a school for students who are struggling with senior mainstream for one reason or another. They may be just low achievers or may have personal issues and struggle with mainstream or have drug problems, etc. Ingebjorg’s school helps them find themselves and give them a focus so that they may go back to senior mainstream school or, in some cases help them join the work force. Each student has a special program mapped out for them, depending upon their issues and needs.


Unni’s school is a mainstream years 10 to 12 school but specialises in music, drama, sport and students with a handicap. It is the handicapped section which was the most impressive. They cater for, I think, 15 severely handicapped young adults with a large range of equipment from a white room (including all furniture) with beds, beanbags and special light effects for soothing therapy to standing frames, sensory equipment and mobility equipment. In this section the student teacher ratio was, if I remember, 1 to 1.5 (yes, more staff than teachers). Other sections of the school were also very impressive such as the well equipped drama room. We drove back to Erik and
Norway -MjondalenNorway -MjondalenNorway -Mjondalen

Rob’s best drink – Aquavit
Ingebjorg’s home, where we enjoyed our evening with our hosts.


26th May. This morning we left early for our ‘Norway in a Nutshell’ unescorted tour. We caught the train at Drumman, and travelled for some hours towards Bergen (on the west coast of Norway - Oslo is on the east coast), where we were to stay overnight. We changed to a local tourist train at Myrdal, so we could be taken down through the remote mountainous area to Flam. The scenery along the route was spectacular with the main feature being a great waterfall beside the train. The water cascaded down in huge amounts, and created a spectacular view. The train stops at this area, to allow tourists to take photos, and while we were doing this there appeared a beautiful blonde maiden, singing a haunting song, from the water fall (depicting the legend to entice young men to come with her) Then she disappears and suddenly appears some where else on the water fall (two maidens giving the appearance that it is one maiden that has the ability to materialise in different places) it was well done. On arrival in Flam, we boarded a ferry to travel
Norway - DrummanNorway - DrummanNorway - Drumman

Art Gallery-simply called ‘Spitting’
through one of the fiords, seeing beautiful scenery along the way, and where little houses are perched on top of cliffs or very steep slopes overlooking the fiord. (and no, Wendy didn’t get sick, it was smooth sailing) We then arrived at Gundvangen where we boarded a bus for a very interesting trip through the mountains. The driver took us up from the valley, over very treacherous terrain, and boy we were glad there was no traffic coming the other way, as the bus took just about all the road, and at times when turning corners it actually had its back section out over the edge of the drop down the side. We all clapped on arrival at the top before continuing onto Voss, where we connected to a short local train to Bergen. Bergen is on the coast, and is a very picturesque place. The town is set under some wonderful hills, and a funicular railway will take you up to see the old and new towns and surrounding areas. Unfortunately we arrived fairly late and tired into Bergen, so apart from a walk around the wharf we had little time to see more, and were a little disappointed.
Norway -MjondalenNorway -MjondalenNorway -Mjondalen

Unni and her husband Vidar
Next time (??) maybe we would fly in and stay longer.


27th May. This morning we had to catch our train back to Drumman to have a lovely meal with Unni and Vidar, who have a home in the hills with a view over the valley, before spending our last night with our wonderful friends, Erik and Ingebjorg, who were extremely kind to us, and we are pleased that we have some wonderful new friends who we hope to see again some day.


The weather in all our days in our travels have been very pleasant and here in Sweden and Norway the temperatures have been in the high teens and low 20’s


28th May. We left today for the airport in Oslo. This took a train trip of 1 ½ hours from the station near Ingebjorg’s home. We arrived in Zurich late that evening, and found our way to the hotel, which was near by.


29th May. We spent this day looking around Zurich, a large city spread out at the end of a huge lake with a river running through it. Our train tickets we bought in Bendigo, allowed us
Norway -MjondalenNorway -MjondalenNorway -Mjondalen

Wendy and I at lake
to use trains, water taxi, trams, buses and also allowed us into places of interest. However, we did have a mishap, as Rob sprained his foot going down some steps. He is ok, after lots of ice and of course TLC from his wife!!


30th May. We left some luggage at Zurich, as we are returning on Sunday, and caught our train to Interlaken, via Lucerne. We did have to rush to get off the train at Lucerne, as we only had 5 minutes to change to another platform, and after we had been on our train for sometime, Rob realized his mobile phone was missing. I called the hotel in Zurich, but it was not there, so it had to have slipped out of his pocket on the first class carriage we were on earlier. We contacted staff here at Interlaken, and were told to do a report via the Internet. We did this and have heard back to say it has not been handed in (of course not!!) We had called Optus as soon as we were able to get to a phone, and had the number barred to stop any calls being made from the
Norway -MjondalenNorway -MjondalenNorway -Mjondalen

Erik, Ingebjorg and Wendy walking in forest toward lake
phone (we hope none were made prior to having the number barred). We hope it may turn up yet…The rest of the day, we felt lousy, and a little lost, but realized we can do nothing, but will try again in Lucerne and Zurich on way back to Zurich.


31st May. We left for the highest point in Europe today, leaving from Interlaken by train, and changing twice, until we finally reached the top at Jungfraujoch. The scenery along the way was superb, but unfortunately the top was covered in cloud, so couldn’t see much at all. We were able to go out into the snow and ice at several locations on the mountain, as well as see the “Ice Palace”, where there are many large figurines and animals made of ice. The whole trip took 2 ½ hours one way, and we were very tired when home again. The trip home seemed very slow, due to the steepness of the mountain, but amazingly those trains just keep on going up and down several times a day!! The engineering feat here with trains is extraordinary as it also is in Norway. Both countries have many kilometres of tunnels
Norway - DrummanNorway - DrummanNorway - Drumman

Calming White room in Unni’s school for severely handicapped
in the mountains and here in Switzerland the trains travel on steep inclines with the use of cog driving on a rack in the middle of the track.
A sadness has settled on us also here at Interlaken, as it was near here that our friend’s daughter, Kylie (Morrow) was killed tragically in a canyoning accident 9 years ago this July. This was where she and her friends were holidaying at the time. We have seen pictures of the sport and can see how dangerous it could be. The huge amounts of water moving fast under normal conditions is incredible, let alone a storm of water as well…


Apart from the clouded in day at Jungfraujoch, the weather has been mainly pleasant and warm - shorts and tee shirts weather.


1st June. We left today to return to Zurich via Lucerne, travelling on a train by 1st class again. Our travel agent has really looked after us, and I am currently sitting on the train typing this blog, very comfortable indeed!!
We stopped for a few hours in Lucerne, and went to see about Rob’s phone. We were surprised to learn that it was found!! It
Norway - DrummanNorway - DrummanNorway - Drumman

Students work in Ingebjorg’s special school for students struggling with mainstream
was handed in from the train, so arrangements were made to collect it at Zurich the next morning. We are lucky that we visited the Lost and Found in Lucerne, as the phone was on its way elsewhere, and the staff member was able to re direct it back to Zurich in time for us to collect it!!
Lucerne is a lovely place, nestled in between huge mountains, with a very big lake as well, right in the centre of town. We enjoyed a meal by the river, and walked around for a while, visiting a lovely big old church as well. We then caught the train back to Zurich, to stay overnight, before leaving in the morning for Northern Italy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

NorwayNorway
Norway

Leaving the East Coast of Norway for the West on our Norway in a Nut Shell tour
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

Snow fields in the mountains
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

General scenery from Flam train
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

More from the bus window
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

Cabins and lake in snow fields
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

Waterfall beside tourist railway from Myrdal to Flam
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

General scenery from Flam train-check length of train
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

Wendy on a boat from Flam to Gundvangan in the fjord – a miracle and she survived
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

Bus trip up from Gundavangen up a very steep, narrow, windy road
Norway in a Nut ShellNorway in a Nut Shell
Norway in a Nut Shell

Our bus driver


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb