Grosse Stadt Zürich


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich
May 13th 2007
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Zurich


River LimmatRiver LimmatRiver Limmat

In the still morning reflection
Zürich, our last stop for this trip, and probably just as well since Leah and I were starting to run out of zing.

Our hostel was located in the middle of what seemed to be the main café and restaurant area, and more cobble-stoned streets which seem to make everything just that much more authentic.
We climbed the mass of stairs up to our room, and both decided to have a rest for 15 minutes….an hour later we ventured outside to see the beautiful and vibrant Zürich.

The River Limmat dominates the whole city, cutting the centre in two. It seems the most things worth seeing are located just on either side of the River. We walked over the Rathaus Brücke and wandered through narrow cobble-stoned streets with tall buildings each side until we reached the Fraumunster Abby. Founded in 853, and now with its modernistic stained glassed windows - I think made as a replacement by some famous guy… I think called Marc Chagall ...err google him.

We checked out the Lindenhof, a raised terrace garden area on the west side of the river, which had great views down the River Limmat, then walked down ‘Bahnhofstrasse’ a
ZurichseeZurichseeZurichsee

Hannah & Leah with the Fountain
road which has a series of bank vaults of gold, cold hard cash and other valuables directly underfoot. … so close, yet so far!

Leah and I headed down town to edge of Zürichsee (Lake Zürich) where we sat and watched the people and boats go by. We had a wander through the pretty Arboretom Park and then through the boats in the marina to see the water feature in the Lake.

We decided to go on an across town mission to find the Sihl River, for no other reason than it looked interesting on our map. Despite getting little lost a few times, we finally found the river…… or small stream as it turned out, and headed back to the city centre slightly disappointed to explore the churches and cathedrals instead.

We went to St. Peter’s Church, built in the 17th Century and has not only the largest clock face in Europe, but also the large church clock face in the world, measuring 8.7m in diameter!

We also checked out the Grossmunster Cathedral on the other side of the river. We ventured down into the eerie crypt, and climbed the old and rickety wooden stairs
RathahausRathahausRathahaus

Town Hall on the edge of the Limmat
(certainly not OSH approved) to the top of the south tower to get a birds eye view across Zurich.

We spent the rest of our time relaxing in the park of Schweizerishes Landes Museum (The Swiss National Museum) at the confluence of the Limmat and Sihl Rivers, until it was time to catch our train to the airport, and hence back home to London to recuperate after our great holiday.

Check out more Photos


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

St Peter's ChurchSt Peter's Church
St Peter's Church

Check out that big clock face!
Grossmunster CathedralGrossmunster Cathedral
Grossmunster Cathedral

We climbed to the top!
River EdgeRiver Edge
River Edge

with St Peter's behind


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb