Final leg - Zurich


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich » Zürich
September 21st 2012
Published: September 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Switzerland required that we travel from Luzern to Zurich. We were flying home from Zurich the next day. We arrivevd in Zurich via train travel from Luzern. This only took about an hour on the train. We stayed at the Zurich Renaissance Hotel. It was a 10 minute tram ride from the Zurich Airport train station.

We didn't really have anything planned to do in Zurich, so we decided to just head into City Center and wander. We took the tram in and decided that we would walk towards Bahnaufstrasse. Its a mile of elegant shopping with all the big name stores... from Cartier to Longchamp to Tiffanys to LV.

Mid way thru the our shopping, we made several pit stops to check out St. Peter's Church, the Fraumunster and Grossmunster. St. Peter's Church was founded in the 7th Century, is the oldest church in Zurich and has the largest clock face in Europe (28 feet in diameter). The town watchman used to live above the clock and if he spotted a fire, he would ring the alarm and hang a flag out the window facing the blaze.

The Fraumunster was originally an abbey church that was founded in 853 and is famous for the stain glass windows by Marc Chagall.

The Grossmunster is dubbed the big cathedral and played an important roll in sparking the Reformation in German-speaking Switzerand. The domes of the towers are symbols of Zurich.

After the churches, we continued our stroll along Bahnhofstrasse. I found my favorite purse store, Longchamp. I might have purchased a purse or two. We had a quicky lunch/dinner at our usual McD's and then headed back to the hotel to pack. The night was still early so Joanne and I headed down to the lobby for drinks.

All in all, a good week was had in Switzerland. Although expensive, I hope to return!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb