A Day in Harnosand


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
August 2nd 2017
Published: August 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

A day in Harnosand.... we woke to clear blue skies again....

After a delicious hotel breakfast we wandered back to the Railway Station to reserve seats for the train the next day. The only person there was the Hertz Rental Car man - no Railway Staff - only a ticket machine for train journeys. The Hertz man directed us to a Travel Agent, across the bridge in the town centre. It was all very quiet and nothing opens until 10am. They were very helpful, but I don't think they get many Eurail Pass users in this part of Sweden, as didn't know what to do initially. We then went down to the Boat Harbour to buy tickets for the lunchtime cruise that day. We really wanted to walk on the High Coast, but one needs a car to get there, and we didn't want to drive on the wrong - I mean right - side of the road. The cruise was the only other option we could find. The boat (dating from 1958) left at 11am and went north up the river, then turned right into Storfjarden, around Abordson Island, up into Norafjarden before going under the High Coast Bridge, turning 180 degrees and going straight back to Harnosand. This suspension bridge is one of the largest in Europe and was built between 1993 and 1997. It is 1.8kms long and 180 m high, so quite an imposing sight. This took 4 hours and during this time there were 2 musicians (accordian and electric bass) playing Swedish folk songs. Lunch was a Swedish buffet of herrings, salmon, chicken, potatoes and various salads... all very delicious.The scenery was nearly all conifer trees with red houses (mainly summer houses) and other buildings and small jetties with boats tied up. All very picturesque. It seems unbelievable to us that this whole area of water freezes in winter and people can ice-skate on it.

Advertisement



3rd August 2017

Hello from Andrea and Euan
Hi Raewyn and Lee, are really enjoying reading your blog! You have been blessed with great weather. How is the sleeping at night going when it is only dusk outside - this always amazes me! We are missing you at singing Raewyn - the week before last we only had one alto and that was Lesley. It sounds as if you are having a marvellous experience. Have fun, cheers, Andrea and Euan.

Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb