Polar Bears and White Whales seen


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today I received the following sent to us by Satilite e-mail, if you would like to send our sailors an e-mail which has to be short for them to receive it, their e-mail address is SIGF@sailmail.com.



E-Mail sent 20th July

Hello again Carol, yesterday we saw one whale where we saw 3 last time. When we turned into Magdalenafjorden we saw the polar bears again, this time swimming in the water. First we saw the mother and the cubs and a bit later we also saw the male in the water. In the evening when we were ancored inside graveneset the wind turned and the bay filled with talking ice from the glacier. Very nice. Now we are motoring again against wind and waves towards Woodfjorden around the top
end of Svalbard. It is supposed to be very nice there with white whales and other interesting things. I will send you a short message tomorrow again. Love xxx Lars.



Received today 21st July

Hello Carol, today we have explored woodfjorden. We have seen a couple of walruses swimming in the sea. We have also seen some "Belugas" = white whales.
We went up close to a very large glacier and took some photos. We are now ancored in a lttle bay. Tomorrow we will try and go above 80 degrees north and head further east to Hindelopen. We hope to be able to go down there a bit before the ice stops us. I hope everything is ok. Love xxx Lars.



Sounds like Dawnbreaker and the crew are having a good time and seeing alot of creatures which are best seen in their own environment.

The Glaciers that are between the mountains and join Svalbard and Spitzberg together are falling apart with the high temperatures in the summer months. The people living in Longyearbyn send groups to keep an eye of what is happening around the Glaciers. The tempertures should be around +4 C but while I was there, even with the cold winds the temperatures were alot higher.

In Ny Aalusund there were many different Countries which had sent Scientist's for all diffient categories. They study the effects of what is happening around the North Pole. Some were willing to talk to us but for the most they were very carefull who they talked to.



Today I've added 4 new friends to my Travel Blog. Welcome Kerstin Labus, a neigbourhood friend. Also Brian and Johanna Fenn who I'm happy to say are also from the neigbourhood and help me quite alot.

Greg, Jackie Stoltz and John Winder whom Lars and I met while sailing. All 3 were crew members on Dorothy and Tom's boat called Joyant.

That is one thing I do like about sailing is that you make friends and hopefully keep in touch even after everyone goes home.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb