Packing Day


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Uppsala County » Uppsala
June 9th 2010
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunset over River Fyris - UppsalaSunset over River Fyris - UppsalaSunset over River Fyris - Uppsala

This was about 10:30pm. This is about as dark as it gets.
8:00am never came so soon! I could have slept another few hours but we have things to do and places to go.
We are staying at a nice home with a great host, Kristina. She makes sure we have fresh baked bread and sliced cheese each morning for breakfast. The typical breakfast is bread, meat and cheeses or yougart and granola. We have the whole half of the house. It kind of like a duplex. They have an old German Shepard named Fanta. She's the mellowist dog I've ever seen. She stays on our side of the house and greets us when we come home each night. Kinda cool.
So we went to take Bre some breakfast and then to assess what needs to be pack and shipped and what can go on the plane. We got it down to 2 boxes to ship and the rest we can take on the plane. Looks like it will be about $100 per box to ship home but that is less hassle then trying to find a place to keep them while on the boat and then to deal with picking them up and taking to the airport.
We finished up and packed
Swing Dancers by the riverSwing Dancers by the riverSwing Dancers by the river

Just a bunch of people dancing across the river.
a picnic to check out Gamby Uppsala "old town". Breanne hadn't been there yet and it's part of Uppsala's Viking history so we headed out. There was a musuem, church, and ancient burial grounds. They used to worship many of the mythical gods such as Zeus and Thor and named some of the burial "mounds" after them. In the 1800's they used to have paths that led into these "mounds" but have since stopped that practice because of possible clapse.
The countryside is very beautiful. Lots of green farmland and red houses and barns. Bre says there are ordinances for the country of Sweden that you can only paint your house and barn a certain color. It looks like it's based on the the type of siding. If it's wood slats, it has to be red. There are red houses with white trim with a matching barn everywhere. The stucco type houses are mostly a pale yellow color. There are pale green and some white but that's about it.
After Gamby Uppsala we took a road trip east. No real idea where we were going but we stopped at many churches and castles. Also drove through a nature reserve and saw deer, fox, pheasants and reindeer. The raindeer were behind a fence though so not really nature-like...
Stopped for dinner then headed back to our B&B for more sleep. We did take a few power naps during the day when we could cuz we're still exhasted.
Side note - we started taking pictures of our food so you'll seem some random food shots. Yes weird, but whatever. It's my blog.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Burial MoundsBurial Mounds
Burial Mounds

Burial mounds at Gamla Uppsala (Old Town Uppsala)
Castle UppsalaCastle Uppsala
Castle Uppsala

A view of Castle Uppsala from Gamla Uppsala
Old ChurchOld Church
Old Church

Church in Gamla Uppsala
Viking RuinsViking Ruins
Viking Ruins

Stone in the side of the church.
Inside ChurchInside Church
Inside Church

Gamla Uppsala


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb