Final Weekend


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Uppsala County » Uppsala
August 15th 2005
Published: August 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The DomkyrkaThe DomkyrkaThe Domkyrka

A view from the castle on the hill.
This past weekend was my last weekend in Sweden. Linn and I headed up to Uppsala Friday after work.

Uppsala is a very unique university town... Having been established in 1477, the student life is steeped in tradition. Each student must be a member of a 'nation'... there is one for each region in Sweden. Most people join the nation of the region they are from but you don't have to. Linn is a member of Stockholm's nation. Every nation has a building and usually a club or pub. Nation members get in free and all others pay a small fee. You must have an Uppsala student card to be able to get in. (You can however buy a week pass provided you can show some other student ID - which is what I did).

Friday night we met Linn's friend Eva and went out for dinner at Norrlands nation. They have a really nice pub that serves cheap beer and cheap (but good) food. Biking is the mode of transportation favoured by all students... so Linn borrowed her brothers bike and I borrowed Cia's bike to get around. Unfortunately, I am incompetent on a bike (so much for
Rune stoneRune stoneRune stone

Most rune stones come from the region between Täby and Uppsala.
the saying 'it's just like riding a bicycle... you never forget')... HA. I only fell off 3 times... but my butt is a little sore still.

Saturday we spent the day walking around and shopping. The town itself is very beautiful, with a river flowing through the middle. The cathedral (or 'dom kyrka') is one of the oldest in Sweden.

Saturday night we had a small 'kräftskivor' at Linn's apartment. Eva and Stella came over around 7:30... We sang traditional songs and ate the lobster-type crayfish. It was quite the experience... I actually really liked the flavour of the crayfish... but all of us reeked afterwards!! In fact, we had to change our clothes. Around 10:30 we headed to another nation's club. It is the only one open in the summer and has a really nice outdoor patio. We danced up a storm and left at 2:00am when the place closed.

Sunday was a pretty relaxing day... we cleaned and organized... Linn showed me some of the university buildings (about 35, 000 students go there) and then we headed home to Täby.

Only 4 days left!! This week I'm going to be doing any last minute shopping and I need to start packing... I have so much to bring back!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Stella, Eva and LinnStella, Eva and Linn
Stella, Eva and Linn

Out after the crayfish party...


15th August 2005

See you Sunday. p.s. is Ikea furniture cheaper over there??

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb