Sweden - Uppsala and Gamla Uppsala


Advertisement
Europe » Sweden » Uppsala County » Uppsala
February 18th 2020
Published: February 29th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Dear All Greetings again! In this blog entry I will write up about my adventures on my second full day in Sweden. After my first incredible day exploring Stockholm, I thought it would be hard to beat, but it turned out each day was just amazing, and so varied from each other. I felt I really packed a lot into my three days of exploring this small and beautiful part of Sweden. For my second day, ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sami Exhibition PhotoSami Exhibition Photo
Sami Exhibition Photo

Upplandsmuseet, Uppsala
Sami Exhibition PhotoSami Exhibition Photo
Sami Exhibition Photo

Upplandsmuseet, Uppsala
Rune StoneRune Stone
Rune Stone

Uppsala University
View over UppsalaView over Uppsala
View over Uppsala

From Uppsala Slott
DomkyrkaDomkyrka
Domkyrka

Uppsala
Globen ArenaGloben Arena
Globen Arena

Stockholm



29th February 2020

Folksy Music
If you liked the folksier music of ABBA you'll probably enjoy Nordman. ) Glad you had an enjoyable second day as well. :)
1st March 2020

Folksy Music
Great, thank you my friend. I shall look into the music of Nordman ?
1st March 2020
Gamla Uppsala

The burial mounds
I remember seeing those burial mounds myself the olny time I did some sightseeing in Uppsala myself (alsmost 30 years ago). We have plans on going to Uppsala some time. It just never happens because it is too easy to go there for us. Did you know that Carl Linnaeus worked out of Uppsala. I Think his old home still stands there and it might be a museum today. If you are into Viking history you need to visit Birka, a Viking settlement (no, rather Viking City) in Lake Mälaren. I guess you didn't see it this time because there is no boat traffic running there in winter. In summer, during vacation season, there are boats going there and the museum is open and they have guided tours. /Ake
1st March 2020
Gamla Uppsala

The Burial Mounds
Wonderful, thanks for this Ake. There is so much to see in Sweden, I do hope to be able to return at some point too see more. Birka sounds really interesting, and right up my street - I'm very much interested in Viking history. I didn't get to see Carl Linnaeus's house this time. It is very true that we rarely get to see places that are close to us. There are just so many amazing places to see in this beautiful world! Thank you for reading my blog ?
12th March 2020

Trains, music, and burial mounds
I could hear you enjoying your Abba as the train moved swiftly north. This location has a lot of spiritual energy and significance from the sounds of it. Beautiful architecture.
14th March 2020

Spiritual Energy
Gosh, I think you're right, there was indeed spiritual energy there - I don't think I realised it at the time, but it seems so clear now...!
12th March 2020
Me, Fyrisån River

Along the river front
Nice.
14th March 2020
Me, Fyrisån River

River Front
Thank you :)
21st March 2020

So much history!
I really knew nothing about Uppsala at all before reading your excellent account of it. Ironically, I have a travel blogger friend who lives there (or closeby) and I have met her twice at "Euromeets" which I mentioned in some of my blogs. BTW, I used to like Abba's music quite a bit. Nice photos, Alex!
21st March 2020

Swedish History
Yes, I think Uppsala has a lot of places of historical importance for Sweden. It was lovely being there. Small world about the nearby travel blogger! Maybe I passed them on a cobbled alley somewhere...! And great to hear you also like Abba music ?
12th May 2020

Erikleden Pilgrimage
My wife Linda has called off our Scotland trip planned for Aug 2020. So I am looking for an alternative with pilgrimages being something she has agreed to in the past. And I have an ancestral link. Recently, through a distant cousin, I learned that my ancestor, Galfridus FitzWalter de Northcote, was related to the Vikings who occupied Normandy. His five times great grandfather was Rollo "The Viking" Rogenwaldsson, the 1st Duke of Normandy which the king of France gave to him in return for keeping other Vikings from attacking Paris. Rollo "The Viking" participated in the attack on Bayeux, Normandy in 890 after being banished to the Orkney Islands in 876. Rollo descended from three Earls of North Trondelag, Norway and four Kings of Vestfold, Norway. The first of these kings came from Sweden (which somewhat explains my 7% Swedish DNA match), and were descendants of 19 kings of the Yngling dynasty, as recounted in the Yngling Saga, which goes all the way back to 240 AD. Yngling means descendants of Freyr, a Norsk God who was likely immortal, and his wife Gerd, the daughter of a giant. Beowulf also features in this saga. This line goes back 60 generations and 1760 years! So now I am planning at trip to Oslo and Uppsala.
12th May 2020

Pilgrimage
Sorry to hear of the cancellation of the plans for your Scotland visit this summer Bob. Your thoughts on a new pilgrimage to Oslo and Uppsala sound very exciting, and I wish you all the best in the planning there. Take care and all the best ?
5th February 2022

Erikleden Pilgrimage
It is finally time to visit my ancestors in Scotland. Linda decided not to come, as my itinerary was intimidating! I will be in Scotland from 23 Aug to Sunday 4 Sep. I've decided to fly from there to Stockholm that day, stay at an airport hotel (probably the Radisson Blu). I will spend Monday 5 Sep taking the train to Uppsala where I will walk the Erikleden Pilgrimage to Gamla Uppsala where some of my Viking ancestors are buried. I will take the train back to Stockholm for some sightseeing, and towards evening return to the airport hotel. I fly home on Tuesday, 6 Sep. Thanks for your blog which inspired me!
5th February 2022

Eriksleden Pilgrimage and Scotland
Oh fantastic! I'm so pleased to read your Scotland trip is on! I look forward very much to reading about it ? And lovely that you're adding on a bit of Sweden too. It's funny, as it was your blog entries on pilgrimages which inspired me to walk the Eriksleden way in the first place! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did ?

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb