Djurgarden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County
May 17th 2015
Published: May 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Norse Sun god Sol blessed us today with a smashing morning in Stockholm. Our host had 5 bikes in the yard but unfortunately only one was unlocked and it was one of the kids. Deaks cut a few laps on the bike and then the scooter while the girls got ready for our big day out.

It would be rude not to sample the local bakery (bageri) as it is just next door. Lattes, varm choklud and a plethora of baked goods set us up for a mssive day.

A quick T-Bana to Slussen and then we jump on the ferry to Djurgarden - an island that was a royal game park for Elk and Deer in the 16th Century and has transformed over the centuries to be the recreational hub of stockholm. It is now home to museums, theme parks and gardens. On the short ferry trip with the sun shining bright it was not dissimilar to Sydney Harbour. THe calm blue water is bordered by trees and classic buildings. THe extent of the architecture around the water probably sees it trump Sydney for pure beauty.

Saturday on Djurgarden is super popular with locals and tourists and the Skansen out door museum of swedish life is very popular. We had to queue for a while but didn't mind the people watching. THere are some good looking people here that just ooze nordic casual style but there are also bogans. The bogans are just better looking bogans. It's difficult to pin point why the Swedes are or are associated with being attractive. I've narrowed it down to symetrical features, high cheek bones and quiet confidence.

In Skansen we experienced rural sweden in the 1700's - they lived in these classic wooden huts, had birch wood shoes, slept sitting up (3 to a bed), ground their own coffee with a wheel and groove and had an indoor toilet (potty) carved from wood. All the staff of the park are in traditional dress and while some of the exhibits are a bit lame, it provided an interesting insight into swedish life. Deaks took on the girls at tug-o-war and Jules was taller for a few minutes on the stilts. We ate some Elk and potatos and lingunberry juice - a bottomless cup mind you and boy did we make the most of that! We also got to see Brown Bears, Lynx, Wolves, Wolverines (yes...they are a thing) and other native fauna.

Time for another snack and a sit down - beinga tourist is tough work. The Rosendals tradgard was perfect. It's a public garden with fruit gardens and rose gardens and a few cafes and terraces for relaxing and being seen. The kids navigated the Labrynthe and wooden stump bridge before we sat down for some snacks. I bought Milla an Ekologist Applemust - hoped it was apple juice but could have been cider. She seemed to like it but couldn't finish it - note to self, google Ekologist Applemus for future reference.

The Swedes seem to try for a bit more individual style than the Danes of Copenhagen. There was a bit of a uniform in Copehagen but there are a few more standouts in Stockholm. There was a gothic gay couple in Rosendal TradGard and I think I stood behind Lisbeth Salander at the local ICA. Like an IGA but with a C. Maybe it's because Stockholm is bigger or maybe they stand out because the rest of the population are so homogenous and I just didn't cross paths with the few individuals in Copenhagen.

Not all the Swedes are blond and beautiful. There were a few drunks on the train, sipping from beers hidden in there jackets and while I couldn't understand a word they were saying, a drunk swede who laughs while they talk sounds alot like the swedish chef from the muppets. "Borky, Borky Borka!"

We uncovered an unexpected gem at the Junibacken - a childrens museum dedicated to Swedish childrens author Astrid Lindgren. A train ride (that flies!) takes you through a few of her classic stories. Quite dark themes in the stories but the sets and characters look great. At the end there was a live show for the kids. All in Swedish but it managed to keep our attention.

Walked back past the impressive National Museum building and around the ABBA museum to catch the ferry and train home. THe weather had turned and the water was less attractive and the wind was cold.

We got home for the kids to do some homework and on top of all the mental stimulation of the day this was a bit too much to ask. An epic melt down ensued and we put Deaks homework on the to do list and just let them veg on the couch. I think tomorrow will be a quieter day. The girls and I made quick work of the bottle of french red left by our host - Chateau Pech-Latt (2014) a cheeky little GSM - Grenache Syrah Mouvedre! - how did they know about Geoff Sharpe Magic? Could have done with two bottles but one sufficed. Once the kids were in bed (Maggie included), Jules and I watched Better Call Saul on Netflix and hit the sack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



18th May 2015

Keep it up Geoff loving the stories
Happy Birthday Jules have a great day. By the way Cameron and Lou are pregnant.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb