Scandinavian Road Trip--Part 2, Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 30th 2016
Published: June 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

For my mom’s 60th birthday I decided to take her on a road trip throughout Europe. After some discussion, she decided on three Scandinavian countries—Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. The two weeks that we drove were wonderful, a time where we got to see and experience amazing sights, cities, and attractions, as well as spend some needed quality time with one another. We covered 3090+ km on the roadtrip. This is the second part: Sweden.



We left early in the morning from Oslo, headed toward Stockholm. The first half of the day was cloudy, and it rained a few times throughout the drive. However, once we arrived to Stockholm, the weather cleared up, and the rest of the afternoon was beautiful. After we checked-in to our hotel, we drove to the city center to enjoy the rest of the evening. The roads during our visit were under maintenance, making it a bit awkward, and at times difficult, to navigate the city. But after some circling around closed streets, we managed to find some street parking and explore the Old Town, Gamla Stan. The architecture here is beautiful. The streets were narrow, and cars mostly drove on the edges of the small island. During our stroll, there were plenty of people out and about, enjoying the early evening. There were a number of bars and restaurants to choose. We chose Slingerbulten. The prices were not too high, and the food was amazing I highly recommend the restaurant. I got to try reindeer for the first time. After dinner, my mother and I explored more of the Old Town until it got dark. It was a wonderful atmosphere, quiet but with plenty of people walking around. The weather wasn’t as cold as it had been in Norway, so we enjoyed the evening longer outside.



The following day we decided to walk the two banks of the river. We started on the north bank, along Norrmalm, west of the Old Town. We spent the early morning taking a nice stroll through the neighborhood and along the river to City Hall. At City Hall there is a nice tower one can climb and see the views it provides. Stockholm looks beautiful from up here, specially the Old Town. After coming down, we did some more walking and then headed to Södermalm for lunch. We did some more walking around the area, which again is filled with great architecture. When early evening hit, we made our way back to the hotel to get lots of rest as we were going to Copenhagen the next day.



After a few days in Copenhagen, we drove back to Oslo to catch our flight back home. However, we made a stop in Gothenburg. The city was wonderful. We enjoyed the city streets, the restaurants, the indoor market, and the sights the city provides. I really enjoyed the pedestrian area full of restaurants and bars in the city center. Because we had driven from Copenhagen, we only got to enjoy the city for one afternoon. However, the next day on our way to Oslo, not too far from Gothenburg in the town of Kungalv, is a castle where we made a stop for a couple of hours. Twenty kilometers from Gothenburg, Bohus Fortress is worth the trip. It provides wonderful views of the Swedish countryside and some great history of the region.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



6th August 2016

Road Trip
Congrats on your Blogger of the Week award. I'd nominate you just for taking your mom on a road trip for her birthday! Nonetheless enjoyed your blogs as well along with your pictures!

Tot: 0.398s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb