Scandinavian Road Trip--Part 3, Denmark


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
August 19th 2016
Published: August 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

For my mom’s 60th birthday I decided to take her on a road trip throughout Europe. After some discussion, she decided on three Scandinavian countries—Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. The two weeks that we drove were wonderful, a time where we got to see and experience amazing sights, cities, and attractions, as well as spend some needed quality time with one another. We covered 3090+ km on the road trip. This is the third part: Denmark.



We started the long drive from Stockholm early in the morning. The destination was Copenhagen. The drive was long and full of rain throughout most of our time on the road. It finally cleared up as we go to Helsinborg. Though the sun had finally come out, the traffic was brutal. It was the first time we experienced so much traffic during the trip. Once we drove through Malmo, and through the last exits before crossing the bridge to Denmark, the traffic died down, and it felt a little eerie driving on empty roads. However, once we got onto the Oresund Bridge normal traffic flow ensued. Driving the bridge was a real splendid experience. After settling into our hotel, my mom and I headed out for the evening to check out the neighborhood where we were staying. We found a nice Italian restaurant and enjoyed some good food and wine.



The next morning we woke up early and drove to the city center to check out what Copenhagen had to offer. We started the day by walking around the train station and headed toward the Christianborg Palace. The morning was beautiful, not too cold. We strolled through the city’s streets and enjoyed the sights. Just in front of the palace, we jumped on a boat and took a ride that took us through the canals of the city, and we got to see lots of the beautiful architecture throughout the city. It was worth the price to see the city from the boat, and after we got back we continued our walk of the city. We headed to the famous waterfront, Nyhavn. It was packed with crowds, locals and tourists, enjoying the beautiful day. We walked up and down, taking in the sights. My mom and I decided to enjoy the moment, so we sat down at one of the countless restaurants and cafes. Enjoying some fish and chips, washed down with some local beers, we relished the early afternoon for a couple of hours people watching and appreciating the day. From Nyhavn we walked around the city and took in the atmosphere of some of Copenhagen’s pedestrian streets. In the mid-afternoon we headed back toward the train station, stopping at Radhuspladsen—City Hall—and the plaza around it, to drive back to our hotel.



Our last day in the city was relaxing. My mom and I spent the morning together, visitng the Amalienborg Palace and its surroundings to check out the changing of the guard. We walked up to the Churchill Park and then up to the little mermaid statue. In the afternoon we split up: my mom decided to go shopping for the grandkids, and I decided to check out the Carlsberg Brewery. The tour was insightful, and the beer flowing was delicious. I sat outside at the brewery’s small beer garden and took in the afternoon sun. My mom and I met up again around six in the afternoon, and had some dinner together at a local kebab place near city hall. The next morning we left early to drive to Gothenburg.



Visiting Copenhagen was a great experience. The city was full of life, and the buildings were beautiful. Nyhavn was amazing, and the Carlsberg brewery was fun. We both enjoyed our time greatly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0908s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb