Competition and Cooperation


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
April 5th 2013
Published: December 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday- 9:30 AM- our bus drove out of Copenhagen, onto a short Ferry towards Sweden’s mainland. Our seven hour drive through what seems like endless wildreness is interrupted only by a short stop at a castle on the shores of a beautiful lake where we enjoy a picnic in the sunny but brisk countryside. After checking into our ultra modern hotel and a meal at the hotel, we board the Stockholm metro into Gamla Stan (Stockholm’s Medieval Old Town), walking by churches and the Royal Palace and through winding cobbled streets, stopping occasionally to take stock of our surroundings. Thus far on our journey, the old town has been the most well preserved slice of medieval Europe we have seen. We walk across the bridge into Newtown where ancient cobbled streets and well preserved ancient buildings give way to the futuristic landscape of Stockholm’s shopping district.

The next morning we board the bus early with a new local guide (Eva-Victoria) where we tour the impressive mish mash of styles at the city hall. After a bus tour of the city we are dropped off at Skansen- an open air museum and zoo that tells the story of the Swedish people. We dine 30 floors above the Stockholm skyline at a panoramic restaurant atop the cities TV tower, then to a local park where the mud does not prevent a groupwide game of no rules soccer!

On our final day in Stockholm the students are able to enjoy the old town of Stockholm on their own- the Royal Palace, the Cathedral, the Modern Art Museum, and Scandinavian sweater shops, before a visit to the Royal apartments within the Royal Palace. In the afternoon we board our Viking Line cruise ship to Helsinki sailing through the Stockholm archipelago of islands. The ship seems much like our last one, complete with disco, karaoke, shopping, movie theatre, and Finnish sauna!

Tomorrow morning we sail into the Helsinki harbour for the second last stop on this long but incredible journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Golden ballroom at city hallGolden ballroom at city hall
Golden ballroom at city hall

Home of the Nobel Prize ceremony
Typical Swedish MealTypical Swedish Meal
Typical Swedish Meal

Potatoes, boiled egg, and 3 types of pickled fish!


Tot: 0.542s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 19; qc: 85; dbt: 0.335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb