The First Real Day


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
July 13th 2006
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Drottingholm PalaceDrottingholm PalaceDrottingholm Palace

A Beautiful Garden

After a good night's sleep we woke up feeling as though we had been reborn. The sky was bright blue, the temperature was warm, and there was a nice breeze blowing in off the water. After a huge breakfast we all set off for our first day of sightseeing. Our first stop, though, was the airline office to pick up my tardy baggage.

We were able to visit Drottningholm, the royal palace and home of the Swedish royal family. This feels like what a royal palace should be--built on an immense scale with many gardens surrounding it. It is on the island of Lovön near Stockholm. According to the guide it was built four years before Versailles. We were able to take a tour with an English speaking guide and then wander the grounds by ourselves.

After the palace we drove into the city to Gamla Stan, the old town. This is an area with narrow streets and many, many tourists. We walked around another royal palace and found an entrance into a museum displaying arms and clothing from Swedish kings. Part of the museum display was a play area for children where they could dress up and pretend to be royals. We then walked into the crowded narrow streets of the old town. There are tons of shops selling all kinds of touristy things, art galleries, restaurants, and bars. Brian was able to get some really nice photos.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



13th July 2006

Amazing
These are amazing pictures, keep them coming. I'm glad that your airline troubles were finally straightened out. Looking forward to more details about the trip.
15th July 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!
It's great to read about your trip, and I love seeing the pictures!! I'm glad you got your bag back and that the planes worked out. So, what's it like there? How are the people you've met? Did Sverker (sp?) and his family like the gifts you brought? What kinds of places are the other tourists from? Do I ever stop asking questions? =) I'm looking forward to more posts and lots more pictures. Love, Miranda

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb