Going Up Country


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Södermanland County » Nyköping
July 14th 2006
Published: July 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Swedish BarnSwedish BarnSwedish Barn

This is typical of the buildings we have seen in this area.
We drove with our friends Sverker and Annika from Stockholm to Nyköping (nee-shipping), a smallish town about 120 kilometers down the road. Near Nyköping they have a beautiful country cottage near the Baltic, which they have restored. Here it is so quiet that all you can hear is the wind blowing through the grass and the occasional moo of the neighboring cows.


Most of the houses we have seen are what we would call barn red with white trim around the windows and doors and terra cotta tiles on the roof. These seem to be the typical Swedish design. Sometimes the houses are a golden yellow, but most are red with the white trim.

The country around here seems to be sparsely populated, especially outside of the towns. As you drive you see fields of wheat, forests, and lakes. Large gray rocks, boulders really, rise out of the earth, almost like exposed bone. Sometimes in fields you see a stand of trees around a group of boulders,



Advertisement



15th July 2006

wish i were there
wish i were there with you guys. it is beautiful there in "nee-shipping". would you say there is a large agricultural / fishing lifestyle there? i think our greatest loss here has been the family farm. are the buildings all well cared for? it looks like it. i look forward to seeing you upon your return. summer would have to be productive there. bob a.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb