Back in the homeland...


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 20th 2005
Published: June 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Dinner at the Fagerberg'sDinner at the Fagerberg'sDinner at the Fagerberg's

Tommy, Linn, Ylva and Staffan.
Phew... It's been a whirlwind! I arrived on Saturday after 13 hours of traveling. You may think Paris is an exciting city, but definitely NOT when you spend 4 hours in the airport!!

Sunday we woke up early and went for a trip on Ylva and Tommy's (my hosts - Linn's parents) boat. It is a large yacht moored about 5-10 minutes drive from their house (see pictures). We went over to Bengt's house at 2:00pm to celebrate Amanda's (Bengt's eldest daughter - she turned 17) and Staffan's (Linn's brother - turned 21) birthdays. Most of the family was there... It was nice to see them all again (see pictures).

Today is my first day of work at KTH. The facilities are amazing! Clean, extremely up-to-date technologically! They have a very large throughput so they have every imaginable gadget (pipette wizards, plate-makers...). The people are all very nice and I think the job is going to be interesting. My main task will be to make the chromatography columns for each different protein. There is a backlog of more than 650... eep.

The weather is gorgeous... warm and sunny, but NOT humid!! I've been going for runs in the morning down to the lake near Linn's house. The scenery is beautiful and there aren't too many mosquitoes!! My Swedish is also improving... I can get the gist of most conversations even if I don't understand exactly what they are saying.

I'm looking forward to mid-summer (the longest day of the year), which is on Friday. Nobody goes to work on this day, even though it isn't an official holiday.

That's all for now...



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

View on the waterView on the water
View on the water

The tiny boats are scout boats... Kids learning how to navigate the seas!
Party at Bengt'sParty at Bengt's
Party at Bengt's

Staffan, Ylva, Tessie, Gunnar and Linn on the patio.
Party at Bengt'sParty at Bengt's
Party at Bengt's

Anne-Marie, her mother and Brita.
Traditional GameTraditional Game
Traditional Game

This game involves knocking down the other team's logs. Apparently it originates in Gotland.
The 3 girlsThe 3 girls
The 3 girls

Me, Linn and Amanda.


20th June 2005

Woo hoo...
Hey look at that, Katie is actually posting stuff, with pictures and all. Hehe, it's all about the gadgets. You need to have cool gadgets! I can tell you that working at a place that has everything you need (and if they don't they'll get it for you) is amazing. Now lets see how many of those gadgets you can use to tackle that 650 chromatography columns. I have a question, is this KTH the Royal Institute of Technology? The same place that offers the two masters I want to do, with no tuition fees??? Well, keep those posts and pictures coming...
20th June 2005

Peter Forsberg
Have you encountered Peter Forsberg yet?
23rd June 2005

RE Peter Forsberg
Who's that? should I just be googling this question?
23rd June 2005

ahhh
oh he's a hockey player (young and cute, might I add) Pictures of him are acceptable use of this travel blogg Katie!

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb