LKAB Mine


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Norrbotten County » Kiruna
April 5th 2006
Published: April 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Auto MachineryAuto MachineryAuto Machinery

Everything in the mine is done by remote control for the miners' safety.
Okay so, we got up early, got on the bus and went to Kiruna. For those of you who don't know, it is above the Arctic Circle. 😊 Anyway, it was cold, but it was neat. The town of Kiruna was built around the mine operated by the LKAB company. They pull iron ore out a mountain near the town. Almost everything is automated down to the drills, trains, elevators, and everything they use. We went down into the mine, to the level where they have a video theater and a museum. On other levels, they do mining, have the offices of the remote operators, and they even have an underground restaurant. It's very neat. An interesting fact to know-the mine is causing the earth to fall or crash into itself. This means that as the unsafe zone grows-the town of Kiruna has to move. They put the homes on trucks, then move them elsewhere. So the town has actually been moving for some time now. But the people are okay with it. Since without the mine, Kiruna would have no jobs.

Either way, it was a neat experience and it reminded me a lot of the phosphate mines back
KirunavaaraKirunavaaraKirunavaara

The mountain that they are mining the iron ore out of.
home in Florida except that they don't pull the minerals underground so much. Also, when we were in the museum and looking at the old mining tools and things, the older homes looked just like the dugouts that the first western settlers in places like Kansas used in the old days of the US. All in all, it was a great trip and I did get to take some iron ore back with me.

Advertisement



5th April 2006

Hey From Korea
Hey there girl, I hope all is well in Sweden. I have a few friends here who are Swedish and they are pretty awesome, so if they are cool as these kids then there is no way you are having a bad time! Blog looks good, got any pictures? Rebekah
29th May 2006

Wow I never knew that about Kiruna
Hey Michelle, I'm Rachel (I subscribe to your blog)... nice entry about Kiruna. Seeing as I usually read about Gothenburg, Lund and Stockholm only, this entry was pretty fascinating :-) Yes...pics would be nice too ^^ Cheers!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb