Toledo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
July 13th 2011
Published: September 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We get up early because we have a long but exciting drive to Cordoba with a stop at a medieval town of Toledo, which is just 70 km south of Madrid. The drive to Toledo is far from exciting because we are part of the commuter traffic and the highways are mostly straight and flat. The historic walled-town of Toledo sits majestically above Tagus River. Its history goes back to the Bronze Age and Roman time. The best way to explore this town is by getting lost in it. Puerta de Bisagra is the main entrance on the northern side. Its Moorish architecture is characterized by horseshoe arches and decorated tiles. The square parapets at the top of the walls remind us of the original function of this gate.

Narrow and hilly cobblestone alleys spread in spider web style from many plazas. Tall stone structures obstruct the view of the sun, making it easy for anyone to lose his bearing. Walking through this maze one cannot help to wonder about what happened in any nook and cranny of this place in the past two thousand years. I wish these ancient walls could speak.

Visitors will notice the abundant of medieval swords, daggers, knives, and body armors at many gift shops. Since Roman time, Toledo thrived in metal industry. It enjoyed a great boom between 15th and 17th centuries and its products were regarded to be the best in Europe. Craftsmen were highly regarded as they produced the most-sought-after swords and daggers in Europe at that time. A consortium was created among the craftsmen to monitor and ensure the best quality of work.

Leaving the city, we take the scenic route on the southern hill to get a panoramic glimpse of the walled city. There are many vista points located on Paseo de la Rosa. From here, we admire the valley, the river below, and the enigmatic ancient city skyline perching on the top of the hill across the valley. It is a perfect postcard view......@driving-vacation

More pictures...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb