In the Mesta and making progress.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
October 14th 2010
Published: October 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,
Well today Helen and I are tucked up in an alberge that will stay open only one more day - the bulk of the Pilgrims are done for the year and today we had a good frost on the grass. We are in a small town called Terradillos de los Templarios quite a mouth full and difficult to keep in ones head let alone spell correctly. This town is one of 4 we have come to today a 27 kilometer walk.
It is funny how on this type of journey small things are comforts like knowing the distance to the next town and somethings can test the patience like not being sure if the choice of hostel is the right one. Well the last two night were great. Tuesday both Brown and I were tired and I needed to clean all my clothing possible bed bug scare that turns out to be a heat moisture thing. So needed to find a place that had a washing machine - first place nice no washing so we had to decide to go to an alberge. Warning snores and often rather warm. So we trugged on a little further and found a lovely place, quiet cheaper washing and a lovely sunroom with a wood stove. I immediatly felt at home. We asked to be by a window (the man agreed he thought I suffered from claustrophobia.) we wanted cool air. The Spanish and the French like it really warm. Ah the luxury of relaxing onto a bed (despite the fact that possible hundreds have slept there the night before felt like heaven. Clean clothes a meal and a warm fire not much else needed.
The next day we made our way to a small town that had at one time had been a rather important center and still had a hostel run by a group of cloitered nuns. It was so cool we stayed in rooms that had previously been part of the monastry the whole place felt like walking into the 17th century. We visited the supermarkado and brought food to make supper was great break from the pilgims meal. At 7pm the pilgrims were invited to join the nuns in pray at the church so Brownee and i thought we should do our part. It was lovely as they were doing a series of chants. Now in fairness all the sisters seem to have to give the solos a shot and some were as tuneful as I am but one of the nuns had an amazing voice. We kept hopping she would have a few extra turns. No such luck.
Each evening we collect our selves and do what ever washing we need to do, read our guide books and decide on what the next day will bring. I had it in my head that I was going to see on of the Knights Templar castles but no such luck we are just in the area that they dominated. By our calculations we are over the half way mark and still waiting for that sense that we have toughen up but we plod on. I think if anything a trip like this makes you appreciate so many things and one is how marvelous is good foot wear and a good strong back.
Happy belated thanksgiving to you all in Canada and may you all enjoy the fall weather as Helen and I are. Anne


Advertisement



Tot: 0.505s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb