Barcelona!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
March 29th 2009
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 26th March


After a good 2 hour flight from Luton, we arrived in at Girona airport, just north of Barcelona, at about 9.15pm. Lauren had emailed us great directions on how to navigate out way from the airport to our hotel, but unfortunately we arrived at a different airport to the one she thought we would (there are 3 airports which come into Barcelona).... But we soldiered on, somehow following the multitudes of other travelers onto a bus for the one hour drive from the airport to Barcelona.


Once dropped in the middle of Barcelona, our sleuthing skills led us to the nearest train station, and with Lauren's directions now making a lot more sense, we were able to easily purchase our tickets and make our way to the train station where Ben was patiently waiting. It was then just a quick walk back to the hotel where Lauren had whipped us up a gorgeous home-(hotel?!)-cooked marinara pasta for dinner, which was washed down with a glass or two of red wine! The meal, the wine, eating dinner after midnight, the bedtime in the wee hours of the next morning - all made for a very Spanish start to the trip!




Friday 27th March


After a great sleep in til 10.30am, we made our way around the corner to a little cafe where we indulged in a lovely breakfast of croissant and hot chocolate!


With the weather being a gorgeous 18 degrees, and lovely sunny skies with heat rays that actually warmed the skin (been a while!), we then walked into town. Barcelona is such a fantastic city, with spectacular buildings. We saw quite a few buildings designed by Gaudi, a very famous Spanyard who's imprint on the Spanish architecture is obvious with every few blocks.


After a late lunch at a Japanese all-you-can-eat resturant, and hence a quartet of very full bellies, it was back to the hotel for a siesta. The night was then spent with a battle of cards, and more red wine, before once again retiring to our room in the early hours of the morning.




Saturday 28th March


Another sleep-in, followed by another breakfast of croissant and hot chocolate... Hard life!


We then said our goodbyes to Barcelona and began the 9 hour bus ride north to Irun, our starting point for the Camino. It was quite a boring, but comfortable trip north, with the scenery being quite unremarkable.


We arrived in Irun at about 11pm and made our way to the hostel, before crashing into bed once again.....




Advertisement



Tot: 0.435s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb