Cordoba, Espana


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
May 12th 2008
Published: May 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cordoba, Espana
(Just so you know today is really May 24 and we are now in Levanto, Italy. It takes luck and WIFI to get the blogs out)
Today May 12, 2008, we managed to find a supermercado (supermarket) and do some food shopping. It is sometimes a challenge. This particular market was in a mall and didn't open 'til 10 am. I have been looking for oatmeal and I THINK we found it, we will see. It is not possible to read the label but it looks similar??!! But there is no Quaker Oat Guy... The next trick is to bring our own bags and carry the groceries several block back "home".
As we drive, we realize, we are now in OLIVE COUNTRY, we see olive trees everywhere and olive oil, olive hand cream, olive shampoo, olive soap, etc. One interesting snack is bread with a wonderful Spanish cured ham and olive oil splashed over top. When in Spain ......
Tom and Judy (our friends) met us at the campground and were ready to catch the bus and head to city centro.......... Cordoba...because of its history and wealth of monuments is listed as a World Heritage Site. The Mezquita is Cordoba's great mosque dating back 12 centuries; it embodied the power of Islam on the Iberian Peninsula. This mosque is a building that would come to be considered the most important sanctuary of Western Islam. However, it was reconquered by the Christians in 1236. First Christian... then Moslem... then Christian.. it has had a history of conflict ...and it is the WINNER that gets to write the history. So the Catholic Cathedral of Cordoba is what one visits, even if the construction was Moslem. The double arches I found fascinating, The lower column is a slim, while to higher support column is ticker to support the weight. Religions are still fighting battles, and it will go on forever.....why? Bob is enjoying every historical monument...bless his soul and his camera.
After a busy day of sightseeing, we enjoyed some Paella and Sangria at a Patio Restaurant. We are all weary.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb