The week so far


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
July 28th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post


It's 5pm and everyone is off napping. I thought I should work on keeping up with the entries so I don't forget the things we've done. Thursday night was Flamenco night. Deanna and Lillie and I went to Teatro Alcazar downtown Madrid to see a performance by a dance company El Amargo mas Flamenco that's headed by this guy, Rafael Amargo. Anyway, he seems to think he is God's Gift and I must say he is a great dancer. There was a point during the production where he was clattering on only his heels with his legs barely moving at all. That was during the red suit period. He had more wardrobe changes than Celine Dion. It started out with a darkened stage and fog machines and everyone dressed in black leather and jack boots. And he went commando the entire show. If you go to rafael-amargo you can see pictures of him and his company and see what I mean. But it is an entire company of dancers and musicians and singers who vary greatly in age but are all phenomenally talented. I took video because it truly was a great performance. Chus doesn't like flamenco because it represents an bygone era and is too touristy. But he reserved great seats for us to this show and we were the only tourists from the U.S. in the theater-the rest were Madrilenos or people visiting Madrid from other parts of Spain. The show was sold out so we were very lucky to be able to see it. Deanna compared and contrasted flamenco to square dancing in the U.S. Chus couldn't quite get a handle on square dancing so we told him we would rent "Son-in-Law" for him.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb