Driving In Spain – The Ultimate Tourist Guide


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
April 26th 2023
Published: April 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

If you're planning a road trip in Spain by a rented car, it's important to be aware of local laws and regulations. We've put together this handy guide for tourists who want to know more about driving in Spain. From speed limits and driver's licenses, through rental cars or second-hand vehicles – we'll tell you everything you need to know before hitting the road!



Spain is the most popular vacation destination for Europeans, and well-deserved. In fact, Spain is the second most visited country in the world after France.

Spain is the second most visited country in the world after France, which should tell you something about its popularity among European tourists. The country is well deserved as a vacation destination – it has warm weather, beautiful scenery and excellent food. In fact, Spain is so popular that it's become known as "Europe's Hawaii."

If you're planning on driving in Spain with your rental car or campervan there are some things you should know before getting behind the wheel:

- Spain has the highest number of licensed drivers in Europe

- The country has the second highest number of cars per capita in Europe

- There are more than 200 million licensed vehicles on Spanish roads, which makes it one of the most congested countries in Europe.


You'll find driving in Spain fairly straightforward




Spain is a popular destination for tourists, drivers and drivers because of the number of tourists. Therefore, if you're planning to drive through Spain, you'll likely be sharing the road with a lot of other vehicles. However, that doesn't mean it's going to be difficult to navigate. In fact, we think you'll find driving in Spain fairly straightforward.

Spain has some beautiful scenery and lots of great roads for getting around – and there are even more than just one or two highways!



While most people will opt for an organized tour with their rental car company or guidebook publisher (or both), those who prefer more freedom may prefer self-driving tours where they can decide where they want their trip take them each day according to personal preference rather than following someone else's itinerary set by someone else who knows nothing about what kind of vacation experience might best suit yours needs as an individual traveler."

Driving in Spain can be somewhat intimidating for first-timers




Driving in Spain can be somewhat intimidating for first-timers due to the large number of people who also drive here – especially during holidays and peak season. You will see many people driving with a lot of luggage, and that is because many tourists drive in Spain. The roads are not always easy to navigate either, so it is important to know where you are going before you start driving around.



There are many rules that you need to follow when driving in Spain, and even more if you are a non-resident. For example, it is not illegal to drive without a valid driver’s license – but if you are stopped by the police, they will fine you for driving without one. It is also not considered an offense to drink alcohol while driving – but again it will result in a fine if caught by police.

The roads are generally good



You will find that the roads in Spain are generally good, but be aware that some minor roads may have potholes or other obstacles that could cause damage to your car if you're not careful.



Driving can be quite nerve-wracking as a tourist because there are so many things to watch out for when driving in Spain: pedestrians crossing the street without looking; cyclists weaving between cars; cars cutting across lanes without signalling; trucks veering into oncoming traffic without warning...the list goes on!

The best thing to do is keep calm and focus on what's happening around you at all times – especially when navigating narrow country lanes or city streets with lots of traffic lights and roundabouts (traffic circles).

There is a speed limit of 80 km/h on major roads and 100 km/h on motorways, although there are areas where you can go faster if you wish.



The speed limit on major roads is 80 km/h. The speed limit on motorways is 100 km/h, although there are some areas where you can go faster if you wish. Some regions have a lower speed limit, and others have a higher one. There are also some regions where there is no official limit at all!

To find out what your current speed is, look at the dials in front of you; they show both kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph). You may also see an indicator that shows which side of the road to drive on – this should always be pointing towards the right-hand side of each lane when driving in Spain.


Beware of pedestrians!



Pedestrians are not always careful about crossing the road, so be aware of this when driving. Cyclists can also be unpredictable, especially when they're in a large group and don't follow traffic rules. Cyclists should wear helmets and reflective clothing to help them stay safe while cycling at night.

Drivers should look out for cyclists and give them plenty of room. Drivers should also make sure to check their mirrors before turning or changing lanes, in order to make sure they don't hit any cyclists.


Make sure you're prepared for the rules and regulations before setting out on your adventure!



If you'll be driving in Spain while on your next trip, make sure you're prepared for the rules and regulations before setting out on your adventure!


Just remember that most rental companies require renters over 21 years old so don't expect any sympathy from them when explaining why Mommy wouldn't let her borrow her car while abroad either.

We hope you've found this driving in Spain guide helpful. We know that it can be intimidating at first, but with a little preparation and practice, anyone can become an expert driver in no time!

22 Top Tips For Driving in Spain



Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb