Things to do in Madrid, Spain Visit for an Everlasting Memorable Vacation


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
December 22nd 2021
Published: December 22nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

There is a wide range of things to do in
">Madrid, including the city's history, art, food, fashion, and nightlife. Spain and Latin American art are well represented in the city's museums and galleries. There are plenty of historical buildings in Beaux-Arts style, as well as statues and theatres dating back to the 18th century on the many open-air squares of this city.

Also, Madrid is a great place to enjoy festivities like Madrid Pride, Nochevieja (New Year's Eve), and Christmas. There are plenty of footpaths in the city centre, and lush gardens serve as rest stops between them, making walking around relatively easy. Find out more about the activities, food, and places that Madrid is known for, which are geared towards first-time visitors interested in experiencing the city's unique offerings.

Plaza Mayor

In the middle of Plaza Mayor, one of Madrid's grandest open spaces, a bronze statue of King Philip III stands, amid nine entrance ways and 17th-century frescoes. Throughout the year, Plaze Mayor hosts a variety of events and activities. Some of the most popular things to do in Madrid include exploring the Christmas market and celebrating the patron saint of Madrid, San Isidro.

Madrid's quintessential bocadillo de calamares (calamari sandwich) and coffee, beer, and sandwiches are available at many of the city's cafés and sandwich shops.

Explore Madrid's Art Triangle

One of the best
">things to do in Madrid is to visit the museums in the Paseo del Prado's Art Triangle. Three notable museums are located along this avenue, namely the Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza, and Reina Sofia. Among the masterpieces on display at these museums are works by Picasso, Goya, Velazquez, and El Greco Bosch.

For about € 40 you can get the Paseo del Arte pass, which gives you 20%!o(MISSING)ff all three museums. Snap a photo of amazing Astronomical Observatory, Fuente de Neptuno, as well as Fuente de Cibeles, or the Royal Botanical Gardens between your regular visits.

The Royal Palace

There's no chance you'll see a member of the Spanish royal family when you visit the Royal Palace of Madrid, although it would be a cool thing to see in Madrid. It was built during the 18th century as a mix of Neoclassical and Baroque architecture by King Philip V.

The palace has 3,000 rooms, including a throne hall, an armoury, and a well-preserved royal kitchen.

Shop in Gran Vía

There is an array of high street shops and luxury shops on Madrid's Gran Via, as well as local designers. You can find renowned brands like Armani Exchange, Hugo Boss, and Red Valentino inside El Corte Inglés, Spain's largest department store.

Madrid's upmarket shopping avenue offers plenty of interesting things to do - the historic buildings in the style of the Beaux-Arts period and the old-fashioned theatres make for postcard-worthy sights. A visit to Madrid's finest example of Beaux-Arts architecture, the majestic Edificio Metrópolis, is a must.

Snack at Mercado San Miguel

Mercado San Miguel is a historical food market that has been attracting food lovers for over 100 years. A variety of stalls sell fresh seafood, cured meat, wine, beer, pastries, and chocolate just next to Plaza Mayor.

You can enjoy delicious tapas in ">Madrid travel at several bars at Mercado San Miguel. Take advantage of the tapas bars (or 5) within the market to savor fresh oysters and classic Spanish delicacies like patatas bravas and garam masala.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.763s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb