The rain in Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
August 30th 2013
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.2698, 0.307633

As we prepared to move off from Vilanova Park on Wednesday morning we were entertained by a couple of red squirrels who were having an altercation in the branches overhead. We were in no rush, so it was a pleasant diversion and a perfect opportunity to observe these cute, rare specimens at close quarters.

After saying farewell to fellow caravanners, Peter and Janet, we got on the road just after 9.15am and were on the main A7 motorway shortly afterwards which would take us very near our next stop, Camping Ribamar just outside Alcocebre by lunchtime. The motorway seemed very quiet to us compared to those in the UK and the quality is excellent, in respect of surface, design and signage. For the most part, we do not begrudge paying the tolls in Europe since we arrive at our destination less stressed and make good progress travel-wise, using the service areas as comfort stops as necessary.

On the outskirts of Alcocebre we followed the directions given by the Caravan Club and indeed, the final 1-mile approach was via an unsurfaced road through the Sierra d'Irta National Park - very rutted, bumpy and dusty, so little point in giving the car a much needed wash at this location. However, the site itself is excellent, with 70 or so pitches for tents and tourers, plus a number of wooden chalets, and a great remote location to chill out. So far, we have had sites with various background noises, such as the drone of motorway traffic, high speed rail lines, flight path of airports, but here at Ribamar it is the calming, soothing sound of the sea, waves tumbling onto the shore.

Shortly after setting up, it came on to rain which lasted until early evening, but once the evening meal was out of the way, we were ready for an early night anyway.

Thursday was a mix of overcast and sunshine, though we did relax beside the pool during the afternoon where we were fascinated by the bird life - not being expert twitchers, we think they are swallows (long forked tail and blue under-belly), they were swooping around, then dipping into the water presumably for a drink on the wing.

Today (Friday) saw a great deal of warm sunshine - ideal for drying the washing - which we understand will be with us for a number of days now. During the afternoon, I got a much needed haircut in the town, the second since leaving home, which will hopefully be as good as the last in as much as being easy to manage.

A local grower of organic produce set up stall on site this evening, so we purchased some cheeses (ewe), honey, eggs, figs, tomatoes and pimentos which we sampled as part of our meal this evening. You would not give some of his stuff a second look in the UK in view of the blemishes, but the taste more than makes up for the appearance.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb