The Mediterranean Update


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Peñíscola
June 30th 2006
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are traveling along the Mediterranean coastline heading northeast toward Barcelona. We are in a campground in Vinaros, a small fishing (becoming tourist) area about half way between Valencia and Barcelona. The campground is very nice with large sites surrounded by hedges for privacy, a restaurant and snack bar, nice swimming pool, great bath facilities and a 10 minute walk from the beach. We will stay here a couple of days for our resort part of the trip. Also one of the most affordable campgrounds we have been in. Looks like there is a bike path along the beach that we will check out today.

Must tell you about our last night in Mojocar. We had found a local restaurant bar that had a large screen TV so went there on our last night to see the Spain France world cup match. We arrived about a half hour before the game started which was good. Otherwise we wouldn´t have found a seat. THe game started at 9 PM so a big crowd all in the red and yellow colors, face paint and carrying Spanish flags. Spain has a very lively fight song that everyone was singing as it was played on the sound system. When the teams came on the field they turned up the sound on the TV for the introduction of Spain´s team and the national anthem. None of the players sang it and neither did anyone where we were, but it did quiet down somewhat. When they started the French national anthem, the sound went off and the fight song came on which everyone sang vociferously. The game was a rough one and Spain didn´t fare well losing to France 3 to 1. The crowd was very into the game, it almost seemed like breathing was synchronized during the individual plays. Because Spain lost we thought there would be some very angry people at the end of the game and people debating the game. However, the minute the whistle blew everyone was out of their seats and out the door. The entire place was cleared in about 5 minutes except for about 5 guys at the bar and us waiting for our bill. Don´t know whether everyone else paid in advance, carries a tab or what, but I have never seen a place empty so fast with so little talk in my life. I guess the philosophy in Spain is; this game is over so time to look forward to the next one.

Today´s educational note is on agriculture.

Everywhere you drive in Europe you see agriculture. Wheat everywhere we have been. Higher yields in France and Germany, already harvesting in Spain although you can tell ground not as good and yields lower. Not surprising so much wheat considering the bread these people eat. Have also seen a lot of alfalfa and in France in particular a lot of cows. I already told you about the olive trees. Another amazing sight in Spain is the greenhouses. When you get to the coast south of Granada you see huge gauze or plastic greenhouses. They are huge and stretch as far as they eye can see along the coast. We met a young man from Mexico who works for an organic fertilizer company and is traveling in Spain for business. He said there are about 80,000 acres of these greenhouses in Spain growing primarily tomatoes and peppers. Phenomenal sight.

As you get closer to Valencia you go by citrus grove after citrus grove. You can see irrigation trenches and they appear to be originals or replicas of the ones established by the Moors in about 800 AD. As you drive along the coast it is also interesting to see the competing forces of agriculture and tourism. They are totally intermingled with a huge resort and condo area suddenly appearing among the citrus groves. Most of the condos and other buidling is right on the coast while groves a little further in so seem to be accomodating both, but would be interested in knowing more about the land development issues here. Reminds me of Food, Land and People.

The tourist areas are interesting because of the high rise buildings. Just north of Valencia we came around a bend in the highway and it looked like the New York city skyline on the coast. Must have been about 30 buildings all 10 to 20 stories high obviously condos. THey all looked very thin like only 2 complexes per floor. Almost looked like they would topple over. Smaller structures along the fringes and then open country. Pretty soon another development would appear. It is very hard to find what one might call a typical coastal village. I think to a large degree they have mostly disappeared into these high rise communities. The village we are at still seems to be mostly single or 2 story buildings, but even here there is a lot of building and it is mostly cottages and condos.

Have been lucky to have internet access at last couple of campgrounds. Since our computer is gone we are relying totally on that and internet cafes. We will head for Barcelona tomorrow and after our time there back into France. Will send another message when we get to another internet stop. Having a fabulous time, handling RV travel very well and have tons of pictures to share when we get home. David and Barb



Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb