Bon Jour from Avignon


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have had trouble finding internet access, but finally have it so here is an update. I think our last posting was from Vinaros on the southern coast of Spain. We had a relaxing 3days there and then moved on to Barcelona. Campsite only fair, but location great across the road from the beach with an ocean view and only a couple of blocks from the train station. Had a wonderful meal in Mancou where campground located and headed into Barcelona the next day. Spent part of the dayat Camp Nou, probably the premiere soccer stadium in Spain - seats 100,000. Spent some time in there mega-store before moving on to see Sagrada Familia, the cathedral started in the late1800's by Antoni Gaudi and still not finished. Very different facade from other cathedrales with mix of gothic and modern. Then went to Place du Catalunya, the center of the city and wandered down La Ramblia the main shopping street. Had great tapas and visited an open food market that even included a licorice vendor.

Left the next day and headed back to France. Spent 2 days in the old city of Carcasonne originally built by the Romans in 200 BC with final addition in 1300's by French or whoever was incontrol at that time. Fell into ruin and had major restoration in late 1800's. Legend of the city has it that when Charlemagne attaced the fortress, Madame Carcass who controlled the city following the death of her husband fattened a pig with grain and then threw it over the wall to Charlemagne's troops. When he saw this he concluded that the city/fortress must have huge supplies to feed a pig and decided to not try to defeat them. As they left Madame Carcass had all the bells sing in victory leading Charemagne to say, "Madame Carcass rings," which in French is Carcass sonne. Thus the city was named. Fasinating tour of the fortress and walled city. Bicycled along the Aude River the next day nd then left for Nimes.

Spent one afternoon and evening in Nimes looking at the Roman Temple and amphitheatre that is still used for events. Then headed north to Pont du Gard which is part of a Roman aquaduct. This is the largets aquaduct bridge the Romans built with the majority of the bridge still intact. Spent most of the day wandering through the site and then visiting the museum. The technical knowledge and skill of the Romans was spectacular and it is obvious that when they entered these new areas they fully intended to stay for an extended period of time.

We have now moved on to Avignon where we plan to spend at least 3 days visiting sites in Avignon like the Pope's Palace, bicycling in the surrounding countryside and possibly taking side trips to some other villages. Beautiful area with a lot to see and we are ready to stay settled in one place for a few days. Once we leave here we plan to go to Lyon and then on to Geneva. From there we will go back to Germany and finish our trip primarily in soutern Germany.

You may have noted that we haven't followed the route originally outlined. First of all it became obvious that we would end up spending too much time driving to do that. Secondly, we were not as excited about some parts of Spain as we had thought we would be. The theft of the computer didn't help and we just didn't feel as safe there as the other countries. We are having a great time, however. Holding up well after 6 weeks together in the RV. Only minimal conversation with others since we have encountered almost no Americans, Brits or Canadians. Many Dutch and Germans traveling and they along with the Danes seem to be most likely to speak or understand English.

Today's Humor: Hate to keep going back to bathroom topics, but is of great interest in Europe. Every toilet has a different flush system and all doors a different lock system - again no standardization. Think the French have outdone everyone, however. In the walled city at Carcassone there was a public toilette that had a sign saying, "cleaned and sanitized after each use." I was a little disbelieving. As the person ahead of me left the stall (with floor to ceiling metal door) Igrabbed the door before it could close. Big mistake! When the door closed warm water/sanitizing fluid came spraying from the walls and ceiling drenching everything. I stood with my back pressed to the door to avoid taking a shower. They were right. The toilette is cleaned after each use!!

Au revoir until our next posting.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb