Did the earth move for you, dear?


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Guardamar del Segura
September 11th 2013
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.1089, -0.655788

Last Saturday in Javea was very much a socialising day, when the weather was overcast, cooler than of late, and showery.

In the afternoon, Jan and Ria, the Dutch couple came to us for a drink and snacks since they intended to leave and move south the following day (Sunday). We spent an enjoyable couple of hours discussing various topics, obviously caravanning and our current respective itineraries, food, wine, but also David and Jan share hands-on experience of motor sport but in different areas. We have enjoyed their company so have exchanged emails to keep in touch with each others travels. They, like us, have no fixed plan, just a rough idea of where they might go, do and see.

Later, we met up with the Javea MacLachlan clan, brothers (John Paul and Jason) of our son-in-law, and their families who we had not seen for more than two years when they all came to the UK to attend Louise and Olley's wedding. After a drink at a bar overlooking the sea at lively Arenal, we drove to one of their local restaurants on the Montgo (the majestic mountain which rises out of the headland) where we had a pleasant meal over catch-up on what we had all been up to.

Monday morning, we set to and packed up, awning and all, and got on the road to travel about 100 miles south to Camping Marjal at Guardamar del Segura. The route was very much in sight of the sea for most of the journey, but we left the more intensively farmed orange groves behind, into the high-rise concrete jungle that takes in Altea, Benidorm and Alicante on one side and the barren, arid inland landscape punctuated with the occasional village or town, on the other. Not what you would call picturesque.

We had not made a reservation, but there was no problem, so just after midday we began pitching once again, setting up our camp next to another British couple, from Lincoln, who arrived last Thursday intending to return to the UK in June before the busy season kicks in. They were still building their 'snowbird nest', although the caravan was in situ, but since we have been here they have laid out a ground sheet across the pitch, erected a large 'penta' awning with utility annexe at the rear, porch canopies front and back. Today (Wednesday) they are adding a roof lining to the awning as well as special lighting. It will be interesting to see their completed home-from-home before we go.

Anyway, other than a trip out to the Lidl supermarket for supplies, we haven't been inspired to venture much further, particularly as David has come down with a 'flu-type bug and is not feeling too good. So he is on the paracetamol and lots of sleep.

Talking of sleep, just as we were nodding off last night just before 11pm, the 'van shook for a few seconds. I did a quick Google and indeed, we are in an earthquake zone with a notable local occurrence in June when they had one of 3 on the Richter scale giving off a loud bang and causing buildings to shake.

I couldn't resist turning to David and saying that classic line 'Did the earth move for you, dear?'

Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb