Spain Day Eleven


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Alfaz del Pi
January 5th 2019
Published: January 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Altea church Altea church Altea church

Top of the hill, lots of winding streets
Writing this one a day late, as we were pretty busy later on Saturday!

Taxi to the top of the hill at Altea, where we strolled around looking at the architecture, the tiny streets, and the views.

Then made our way down to the town to find a vantage point, as the Parade of the Three Kings was due later on. So we settled ourselves at a café, right by the route, and ordered some drinks. After the street cleaning vehicle had gone by a few times, a bunch of workmen rocked up and began drilling holes in the street, followed by a colleague hammering steel tubes into the holes! Finally, just before the parade was due, came a couple of guys who inserted poles into the tubes, and began tying blue fabric barriers all the way along. Two unanswered questions: why sweep the street BEFORE drilling the holes, and (since it's the same route every year) why weren't the holes and tubes already there, from previous years? We'll never know!

The parade started with enormous inflated figures of an assortment of Marvel and DC superheroes (not sure what they had to do with the Three Kings, but hey ho). Then various other floats, bands etc, until the grand finale - each of the Kings, preceded by a gigantic crown, travelling on an enormous float and waving to the crowds. Quite a spectacle.

Once it had died down, we were on the move again, this time to a seafront restaurant where we'd arranged to meet the same four friends we'd seen the previous day. A great and lively afternoon and evening!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Who's THIS?Who's THIS?
Who's THIS?

I'm too old to remember!
"Enjoy""Enjoy"
"Enjoy"

No, that was actually the name of the restaurant!


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb