CARTAGENA


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Region of Murcia
November 17th 2017
Published: November 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our excursion today from Cartagena was to the provincial capitol called Murcia. It was a 45 minute drive and we de-bussed in front of the town hall in a beautiful square with yellow flowered bushes and fountains. We walked to Cathedral Square to see the 17th century huge cathedral and to Bishop's palace on the same square.. the cathedral exterior was quite ornate. It was dedicated to Mary and was on the site of a previous 5th century church and then a mosque. We next walked to the Royal Casino which was a museum with interesting architecture in a former casino and which is also a gentleman's club in addition to being a museum. Then we had a short walking tour and free time for refreshments before driving to the hills to see a monastery dedicated to a fountain which was reported to have special holy water coming out of it. The monastery was built from the 16th to the 18th centuries and overlooked the valley and the city of Murcia. the alter area was all in gold and jewels and was very attractive.Then it was back to the ship for a wonderful dinner. Tomorrow we go to the village of Mijas from the port of Malaga.



(Sorry No pictures. this blog program has lost its mind.)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb