Only 489.8 miles to Go


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre
September 28th 2014
Published: September 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Have to admit it but I am beginning to realize that there is a tremendous gap between my expectations of what i want to achieve and the blunt reality of achieving them when it comes to reaching Santiago de Compostela by foot.

At 9:30 this morning we still had 489.8 miles (790 km) to traverse and 30 days to get it done .At 12:00 noon we have reduced that number to 484.8 mi . Doing the math and now fully realizing my lack of quick Long distance walking capabilities with 25 lbs on my back I've decided to throttle down ( I have a choice?) and enjoy the stroll . Theres still roses to be smelt , sights to be seen and new people to be met . So starting tomorrow we continue on but end the race to achieve the finish line . I hear strolling can be fun..stay tuned.

next stop Gerendiain Spain, Navarre



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



28th September 2014

I've Followed other TBers who skipped the Meseta...
between Burgos and Leon to get back on schedule. It saves a week or so. But for goal oriented people like me skipping parts of the Way, even though one only needs to walk the last hundred kms to receive the Compostello, that seems to be taking a short cut. I've also thought of taking the bus to the next town on rainy days. How are these shortcuts perceived by other pilgrims you have talked to?
29th September 2014

Travel is better when you mosy.
Enjoy every sight, sound and smile. That's the biggest check mark on the list!
29th September 2014

All about the experience
Just remember it is all about the experience. Jeremy and I were discussing this and I commented that its just not fair that we are limited by time constraints that earlier pilgrims weren't. If it took them 6 months to complete their pilgrimage, then so be it. Enjoy the adventure. We are praying for you!
29th September 2014

Its about the experience
Remember that it is all about the experience. Jeremy and I were discussing this and I commented how unfair it is that we are constrainted by modern time restrictions. Earlier pilgrims took as long as they needed to complete the trip. If it took 6 months, then so be it. Enjoy the adventure and make memories. That is what its all about. Love you both!!
29th September 2014

About the Experience
Yes..your absolutely right !, no time constraints for us..just lots of wine :) ... we love you all!
30th September 2014

life is short
Do what suits you best at the moment, and above all do it with passion, that's all that matters, Joe. We all have expectations, but the trick is in mofifying them to suit the situation in which you find yourself, not the other way round. Keep up the good spirits.
1st October 2014

Thanks Brett!
These first few days have been tough but we are doing better each day. Thank you for your Note.. I appreciate that

Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb